DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   How to prevent/clean dirt on lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/486389-how-prevent-clean-dirt-lens.html)

David Dice October 20th, 2010 03:46 PM

How to prevent/clean dirt on lens

Ok, I'd like ideas on how to do this. I shoot a lot of outdoor stuff, usually with the lens at wide angle (currently a Canon HXA1s, but this really applies to any small chip camera). I constantly fight with tiny specks of dirt on the lens, usually right in the middle of the sky or clouds, so that it's extremely obvious. The dust is generally too small to see, and I really do try to keep my lens covered when not in use, and clean, but it very often shows up.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to keep the lens clean to begin with, best methods of cleaning, etc.? I usually open the lens up to minimize depth of field on wide angle shots as well, but maybe there's some obvious way to avoid this that i haven't thought of.

Thanks.

John Wiley October 20th, 2010 05:00 PM

A decent UV/skylight filter is your best option for keepnig the lens itself clean. While you're still going to get dust on the filter, you can feel much safer about wiping it and cleaning it regularly, even while you are in the field, knowing that if you scratch it you're not going to need to replace the whole lens for $2000! Also, because the filter is less recessed than the actual lens it makes it easier to see properly and to and inspect it for dirt.

I shoot alot of surfing so salt mist is a constant problem on the beach. I just use a clear skylight filter all the time and clean it regularly with a lens tissue & lens cleaner solution.

Heiko Saele October 23rd, 2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1580623)
A decent UV/skylight filter is your best option for keepnig the lens itself clean.

Well, but a UV filter (or any filter) is also another plane of glass that accumulates dust and stuff - and usually you see that a lot more in your footage than if the dust is directly on your lens...
I never managed to get a good shot against the light with a filter on the lens - at least not as good as without the respective filter.

I always try to keep my lenses as clean as possible with a lens brush and cleaning paper. It is better than any kind of cloth because you're always using a fresh piece and there is no fuzz/lint from it.

Dean Sensui October 25th, 2010 02:17 AM

With exposure to salt air and spray, I use microfiber lens cleaning cloths.

I have several on hand and launder them when they get dirty. There's also a cleaning spray that I apply to the cleaning cloths to help clear anything that might smudge the lens.

This doesn't scratch the element nor does it damage the coating.

Bredly Root October 26th, 2010 08:31 AM

thanks for useful information...

Jim Snow October 26th, 2010 11:14 AM

You should remove as must dust and debris from the lens with air first. Some of the dust is abrasive and if you rub it, no matter how soft the cloth is, it can make small scratches on the lens. It doesn't take much of a scratch to be visible when the light is shining into the lens.