Google TV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Google TV?

Hello,

I saw a commercial yesterday which was for a television with Google TV built in. I went to Google and watched a video about this service and what it offers. Sort of a DVR with access to the internet, and of course Youtube.

I guess I see the first thing I think of is the powers that be want Youtube or Netflix to be major players in place of our network viewing time. Which makes me think of lower to no quality standards compared to traditional broadcasting.

The need for better equipment is going to be surpassed by the bar being lowered for delivery. I do not want to watch stuttering, highly compressed video on my television. Nor do I want to surf the internet on my television.

What do you think? Are we going in the handbasket or is this a good thing?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Major Player

It is home grown jackass 2.0. Get ready for the groin kick.

In a hand basket? No. It is more like the A train. Hold on it is going to be a bumpy ride.

The good thing is after a while people will start to look for quality programing again.

Now where can I get one of these new fangled things?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd suggest the bar has already been lowered in so many different ways. Broadcast TV might be the last bastion of the defense of several sorts of quality standards, but, why shouldn't I use the most expensive and best display in the house to look at internet video? And to share that with others on a display quite a bit larger, with chairs in front of it, than is in my home office?

The question is, just when do I get a really good hi-speed internet service? The 1.5Mbps DSL I have now isn't going to cut it. No FIOS here, darn it. About the only other choice in this neighborhood is Comcast Cable.
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

My concern is that everything associated with media and the internet has this 'free' pricetag in a lot of people's minds. Will being able to watch content on their real TVs give it more credibility or more reason to exploit it further?

Since I create media, I am always thinking of who is going to pay for what I create. Will they have a reason to pay up for higher quality. So far the 'higher quality' approach has somewhat fallen short with regards to internet video. Who knows, maybe a more exposed platform will actually improve it?

I do think for this to work the internet speeds need to be way higher. But that is taking a while to get there. Maybe this will help push it along.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The good thing is after a while people will start to look for quality programing again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the American public cared about quality programming, the cast of the Jersey Shore wouldnt be the biggest TV stars on the planet.

As far as the braodcast standard for internet-based media, connections are getting faster and faster. setting ANY type of standard would only damn it to being obsolete before its even adopted.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

I really do think this is the future ... and I don't mind that at all.

I also look forward to easy armchair access to the sort of content that the networks don't deem to be worth showing. The sooner the general public can bypass these self-interested information gates, the better.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
I really do think this is the future ... and I don't mind that at all.

I also look forward to easy armchair access to the sort of content that the networks don't deem to be worth showing. The sooner the general public can bypass these self-interested information gates, the better.

Andrew
I agree with this completely. Things like Google TV, Apple TV, and Roku/streaming peripherals are going to create a direct line from content creators to their audience.

Imagine, shows will no longer be limited by time slots (one episode could be 25min while the next is 40), "ratings wars" would be moot, since everything would be On-Demand.

Further, content creators would be able to appeal to very specific niche demographics and still be successful.

Revision3's business model is really what I think the future of web teleivision is. Free Ad-supported content catered to a very specific demographic.

We could see the day where the "middle class" independent content producer becomes prevalent in the market. This would be nothing but good news for most of us.

I don't think that ANY of this will be the end of the Cinema, theater has been around for thousands of years. People like the theater experience. But EVERY OTHER medium is changing fundamentally.

I'd be a little worried if I were the head of NBC, ABC, CBS, or Fox.. I think the landscape of power in the world of television is going to be fundamentally different within the next decade. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the big four just aren't there anymore before long.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Major Player

I see a very different scenario.

In the interest of national security, the government passes legislation and takes over the internet, We are taxed on every bit of information sent or received.

The string pullers in Hollywood are placed in charge of entertainment as long as they push the political agenda.

Anyone caught pedaling underground media will become an enemy of the state.
The perps will be tracked down by the FBI and punished to the full capacity of the law.

If you do not believe me just read that warning at the beginning of all Hollywood movies.

Welcome to the future.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Wasn't one of the original premises of cable that you'd have "fewer commercials"? Now it's as many commercials or more, AND higher and higher monthly fees....

MAYBE things will be "free" over the internet for a while, but there is ALREADY lots of advertising/interstitials/etc.

It's hard to know how technology will change things over time - look at the music industry, or publishing in general...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Equal Opportunity Offender

And eftpos was touted by breathless PR bunnies as being faster at the checkout than cash.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion