Me again! Need help with MOV file (quicktime) or similar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 1st, 2005, 03:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Me again! Need help with MOV file (quicktime) or similar

Hello!

A few weeks back I asked a question about Mini-DV camcorders. I ended up getting the JVC GR-HD1 which does some HD recording and also does 60p at 720x480. It's working out great..

The native app that comes with the camera does a great job playing the Mpeg2-ts movies in slow motion -- very smooth -- but it doesn't let you save the movies in slow motion, so I'm currently using Windows Movie Maker 2.0.. Although it's working out okay, it seems like the slow motion is kind of jagged.. not very good compared to the native app that plays the movies in slow motion.. it could also be because it converts the movies into WMV files and I lose a lot of quality. Any other apps that do good slow motion and free or cheap?

Second question is, how do I convert my mpeg2 or divx files to MOV files for use with QuickTime? My goal is to allow the user to seek back and forth through the movie in real time. Currently the seek ability in Windows Media player or RealPlayer freezes the frame until the user lets go of the scroller.

Thanks again for all the help.

Edit: Oh ya I need the apps for PC, not mac.
Tony Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM   #2
New Boot

Oh I found out how to make MOV files.. I had to use TMPGEnc to convert the m2t files to mpg, then use quicktime Pro 7.0 with the Mpeg plugin to convert mpg to .mov...

Doing the slow motion is kind of painful because I have to use Windows Movie Maker2, then TMPGEnc, then Quicktime.. I must be losing some quality right?
M2T -> WMV -> MPG -> MOV..

Are there any software with good slow motion for a decent price or free.
Tony Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Try DV-AVI setting

I am using Windows Movie Maker 2.1.4026.0 and can choose DV-AVI in "other settings" option just before producing the slo-mo movie file. The resulting slow motion is DV and comes out very good. Perhaps you overlooked this setting.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion