The Simultania Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The Simultania Project

YouTube - The Simultania Project

Hi, Everyone:

I found the above-linked project to be of some intrigue--an artist in Los Angeles is going to somehow physically "post" for viewing, the time-synchronized, 1 minute video entries, all time stamped, from participants, all over the world, to be shot on Sat.,November 13, 2010, at precisely 8 a.m. to 8:01 a.m., Los Angeles time.

As you will hear in her YouTube presentation, she wants to capture the real-time realities we are each
experiencing, "Simultaneously" via a "one-minute" capture, wherever the shooter is at that "one-minute-moment" in time....to somehow reflect the various visual (and presumably audio) sensations we and our cameras see, in parallel to everyone else's during the specified time.

I caught her call-in last Saturday on Leo Laporte's "Tech Guy Labs" radio show....she sounded passionate
and dedicated to this project, so I signed up.

I think it would be pretty amazing if some of you fellow members also checked it out, so she won't simply
receive thousands of shaky, poor-quality cell-phone video clips after all the trouble / expense she is exerting.

The finalized project, upon inspection, should yield some extraordinary footage--I wonder what you all think?

John Reilly
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
New Boot

Sounds fascinating. It's a shame it only has 140 views.

One thing puzzles me though: how do you sync videos of completely different nature? Sync them by what exactly? What will be the difference if I shoot my back garden now and submit it, rather than shoot it on the 13th?
Vlady Gerasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Time-Stamping

Hi,

The various submissions, hopefully all shot this Saturday at the specified "one minute," which, for me in
Los Angeles County, is at 8 AM, are directed to be "time-stamped" with visual proof by the shooter that,
he or she, in fact, complied with the directive, thereby shooting at that "one minute in time".

On Erin's Simultania website, there are several methods of synching the shoot via this "time-stamp."

In my case, I downloaded the Apple iPhone App of the World Clock, which appears on the face of my
iPhone, which I can shoot for say, the 10 second countdown, and then continue directly, without interruption, with my subject for 60 seconds.

Please see my post re: Simultania Project, under "Helping Hands" for the links to her instructions, or go to the Simultania Project website.

To be certain, she will not accept submissions which haven't been time-stamped, visually with a ticking "world-clock" to ensure compliance.

Good Luck on Saturday,

John Reilly
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Trustee

boy am I gonna have a submission if the timing works out! I'll be in an airport control tower shooting a B-17 and B-25 taxiing and taking off! Just hope it happens during that minute and not a couple later!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion