DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone else find the Sony USA website unusable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/487133-anyone-else-find-sony-usa-website-unusable.html)

Don Parrish November 8th, 2010 07:12 AM

Anyone else find the Sony USA website unusable?

I have attempted several times to access PMW EX3 info from sony USA website and seem to go in circles, in circles very slowly. I have even searched PMW EX3 and recieved a "zero" items found. The website appears to lock up, slow down, and navigation is terrible. My computer seems to be fine every where on the net except Sony USA. Menus are lumped together and lead in circles.

Just me ????

Chris Hurd November 8th, 2010 08:22 AM

Here are the steps I took to find it:

Sony USA

Under the Electronics tab at the top, click Business & Industrial

Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions

Under the Products tab at the top, click Cameras - Broadcast & Production

Sony | Product Catalog Cameras - Broadcast & Production

On the XDCAM thumbnail, click View All

Sony | Cameras - Broadcast & Production | XDCAM (Page 1)

Showing 1 to 12 of 16 results, so go to Page Two

Sony | Cameras - Broadcast & Production | XDCAM (Page 2)

Showing 13 to 16 of 16 results, click on the last one for the EX3

Sony Product Detail Page PMWEX3

Total of six clicks deep from sony.com -- hope this helps,

Don Parrish November 8th, 2010 09:20 AM

Thanks Chris,

I must be catching the site during an update or something. The search function works that way however I had entered through the purchase menu and it was cluncky at best. I think I also tried the consumer side which does not link to the EX3.

Thanks again.

Chris Hurd November 8th, 2010 09:22 AM

I've watched all of the majors go through various site updates over the years,
and my conclusion is that there ain't one of 'em who have done it right yet.

Don Parrish November 8th, 2010 10:27 AM

I disagree,

there's this website called DVinfo.net that just seems to have it's stuff together, been going there for years :)

In all seriousness, I just don't understand how big corporations sometimes miss the mark. Some drop down menus and a search feature should find everything a customer wants to find.

Chris Hurd November 8th, 2010 10:34 AM

Ha -- much appreciated, Don!

Chris Barcellos November 8th, 2010 01:16 PM

There is probably method to their madness. Is it possible they want you going to their sellers to have your questions answered, so you will get the full sales pitch ??

Mark Watson November 9th, 2010 03:28 PM

My Guess...

Web masters justifying their existence after the site is up and running....
Some companies require employees to write their own business goals. The trend is that those supervisors who have authority to promote, can't make a subjective judgement about an employee's performance, so the goals must be "qualitative" (measurable). It's not enough that a web-site works, or works well, the poor guy now has to write a measurable goal, such as, "I will update my web-site twice this year." During the evaluation, the question would be, "Did the employee update the site twice as was the goal?" Yes or No. No real thought or judgement required. This process is responsible for developing a lack of initiative by employees. I might well be wrong, but this theory holds up according to what I've observed. And it's not too big of a leap then to see why a large corporation's web site can be so screwed up, almost like the faults were built in so as to give the web-master something to fix. My 2 cents.

Walter Brokx November 9th, 2010 03:31 PM

It's about usability...

Andrew Smith November 13th, 2010 12:02 PM

I hate it when the search field for a manufacturers web site can't even give results for a product number. Times like that you wonder about giving up.

Andrew

Laurence Janus November 13th, 2010 06:24 PM

That is my pet hate too Andrew!

I tried to find specs on Sony Vaio laptops the other day and ended up going to a shop instead!