Help a newbie out! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Help a newbie out!

Hi everybody.

I'm quite new to this, but it has already now made me decide to get an education as a production-assistant (does a little bit of everything, thats what i like). What i'm looking for, are some tutorials/behind-the-scenes stuff, about anything that has to do with video. Lightning, audio, vfx, anything!
I have already read all the articles on dvinfo.net's site, and found them all very informative, so something in that direction would be appreciated!

Sorry if its the wrong forum to post in, and thanks in advance!

Mark Olsen.
Mark Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mark, my advice will maybe sound stupid, but here it is:
Read these boards!

Really, the really good information doesn't come from the dvinfo website (although - respect for Chris - it still is a very useful source) but it can't match the information found on these boards.
In a couple of months you can already learn very much by reading everything here!

Do as I do: read about different cameras, even if you don't have them. The boards here have many different sections, including lightning, books about filmmaking, the legal responsibalities, sound, editing and so on and so on.

In the DV FOR THE MASSES boards, people show their work. There you can find lots of beautiful movies or clips, and maybe ask the person who made it, how they did it. Mostly persons already tell in their post if they post their movie.

I'm on these boards for a year now, and the information I learned is more then I learned in 4 years high school (and I came from the direction Audiovisuel Arts).
So read these boards, read read read.
And you'll learn, and maybe, in a year, you too already will have 400+ posts.
If you have a question, do a search on these boards, and/or post it.

And welcome to the boards!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply Mathieu!

I have already been reading in these boards for a month or so, not being active before now. I wanna get a head start on filmmaking, im only 16 years old, and already now, my education is aimed towards getting myself a name in the business.

Thanks again for the advice!

Mark Olsen
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, don't worry. I became a member in June last year or so, and I think I only began posting around maybe september or so.
I was 17 at the time :-)

Best regards!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Watch every DVD extra about the behind the scene making of the movie.

Read books on film and video production.

And when you become a PA (Production Assistant) do EVERYTHING asked of you. Arrive on time, say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am." Be clean. DO your job well. And STICK TO IT. Many peopl end up being PAs for 1-2 years before finally moving up. Each time they get more and more duties, gain more and more trust.

I was a Post PA and Tape Vault Manager for 2 years before I became an Assistant editor, then assisted for 3.5 years before landing in the editors chair. It takes time.

Unless you know film very well, and direct a very good short film or feature film. Then you tend to fast-track (Robert Rodriguez, Bryan Singer, Quentin Tarantino...just to name a few...)
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:42 AM   #6
New Boot

I have thought about purchasing B R O K E N, because of the vast amount of special features on the dvd. The problem is just that i live in denmark, and customs arent always happy about people importing DVD's.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion