DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Any spare parts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/489120-any-spare-parts.html)

Allan Black December 19th, 2010 02:51 PM

Any spare parts?

A concern for a lot of folk is, with the recent influx of many new models by every manufacturer, how long for and how many spares will they all keep in stock.

Yes I know the laws say they have to keep spares for a specified time, but local dealers in each area aren't going to keep ALL the spare parts for each and every vid camera they're responsible for.

They say they will but they'll just fob you off with, we're waiting for some parts to come in, and you wait weeks for a simple replacement part. That's happening now.

And I fear for the day when Sony etc. say, 'after xxxx we no longer support DV tape cameras.'

And as your cam gets older .. the longer you'll have to wait and the closer that day gets.

Cheers.

Dave Blackhurst December 19th, 2010 03:30 PM

Wellllll...

I wouldn't stress that terribly much, as many of the components are "common" between models, with perhaps different part #'s. There's always a decent supply of "scrap" cameras available on the eBay marketplace, although they usually go for far more than they are worth, IMO (unless you consider the costs of a single expensive part...).

PLUS, most of the manufacturers have "downchain" parts companies that often have good stocks of parts that commonly fail. If a parts warehouse closes out stock, there's usually another company standing in line to take up all the obsolete stuff.

I'd assess the situation as: The technology will reach "end of useful life" before the parts stocks are depleted. By this I mean that while you may WANT to repair a given piece of equipment, the probablity is pretty high that you can REPLACE it with something better, cheaper, and at least as effective for the purpose at hand...

I won't bag on "legacy" toys, and some pieces of equipment definitely "age" well and gracefully, but realistically speaking, at some point the costs of maintenance/repair will exceed the market value/replacement costs. And I'm willing to bet there will still be "stock" of parts on the shelves when that day arrives...

And why the heck would one use tape anyway <wink>!?

Alastair Traill December 19th, 2010 03:33 PM

Does this mean that Allan Black will be starting a “wrecker’s yard” where spare parts from older gear will all be available? For vehicles we have wrecker’s yards where you bring your own tools and remove the pieces you want from the model of your choice. There are also networks of auto wreckers who can source bits you may need from other traders if they do not have the part themselves.

I recently bought two Nextos for the price one in a promotional deal. Each came with a compact mains adapter. The adapters each had neat little interchangeable connectors that could be changed if you wanted to use the unit in a different country. All very well thought out and practical. However one Nexto power supply instead of having one neat little connector achieved the same result by using two adapters one plugged into the other. This was a long way from being neat and tidy. Can I get the fitting I want? Not so far. Even my emails that got to the dealer so promptly before purchase are getting “caught in the dealer’s email filter”.

I am sure there are bins full of the part I want - but where?

Allan Black December 22nd, 2010 06:26 PM

Hey Al, with all the old cams at my place that's a thought, but with the mess I'd spend all day looking for a screw, you'd get booked for over parking, that cost would price the screw outa the park, my other customers would see you complain, they'd leave ... mmm maybe not worth it. But .. have a great Xmas and all the best for 2011 :)

Ps you're not related to Glenn and Jennifer Traill in Qld .. by any chance?

Cheers.