DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Where does it all end??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/489176-where-does-all-end.html)

Terry Wall December 20th, 2010 07:39 PM

Where does it all end???

A question to my videography buds out there: Why the mad dash to 3-D? It wasn't that long ago (relatively speaking) that we came to terms with HD, then solid state vs tape, then Blu-ray, then DSLRs that can shoot (excellent) video. And if you stay out on that leading edge, you then need a computer with the horsepower to crunch it all!!! Holy crap, I can't afford to keep up any longer! And yes, I know it's not ALL about the technology...you really do have to have a creative insight, no matter what gear you have, but lately the pace of development has really picked up. It gets a little dizzying, sometimes!

Thoughts?

Michael Wisniewski December 20th, 2010 08:53 PM

I think we're in that part of the technology merry-go-round where the new hardware is still in it's adolescent phase and nobody is completely sure what the final form will be. So companies are making investments in different technologies to hedge their bets. Thankfully it's really about the content and not the hardware.

In my mind I just saw a merry-go-round spinning faster and faster around a black hole, while a continuous stream of money flies from the center column. Cue the carnival music. That's what it feels like sometimes.

[EDIT] For full effect, imagine the merry-go-round in fully 7.1 Dolby Surround with 3D glasses.

Terry Wall December 20th, 2010 09:44 PM

Where does it all end??

@Michael...your last line really cracked me up!! Pretty much sums it up, too! Thanks for a good chuckle!

Anyone else?

Bryan Cantwell December 21st, 2010 09:22 AM

I'm not a fan of 3D at all. It's always been a gimmick, and I don't really see that changing. With that said, we certainly are in the middle of an amazing technology war that doesn't look like it's slowing down! There will always be people wanting to stay on the bleeding edge of tech, and companies looking to serve that market.

Just because it's there, though, doesn't mean we all have to buy into every new thing that comes out. Use what works best for you and your projects, and upgrade at whatever pace makes sense for you! I mean, there are people out there that still use *film* if you can believe that!! :) And sure, I shoot with a shiny Canon DSLR, but I'm also still using my Z1U. (And at work I shoot SD on P2, but that's another story...)

But to directly answer your question, it never ends, and we can't escape!!!!

Terry Wall December 21st, 2010 10:35 AM

@Bryan: Do you ever feel like we're being assimilated by "The Borg?" ;-)

Eugene J. Kulak December 21st, 2010 10:39 AM

Resistance is FUTILE...

Ervin Farkas December 21st, 2010 12:45 PM

Set your own limits

For me these are: previous generation everything. I bought 1080i camcorders just to use them mostly in 480i mode for the next three years... could have gotten a professional ENG SD camera for the price of the Z1... now I'm getting ready to buy a 720P camcorder.

If you get on the merry go'round... there is no stopping.

Creativity is a lot more important than technology; that's why wee keep watching old b/w movies, while some new ones are forgotten right after their opening week.

Don Bloom December 21st, 2010 03:32 PM

The original question was "Where does it all end???"
Very simple. IT DOESN'T!

Richard Alvarez December 21st, 2010 05:03 PM

"Where does it all end?"

In the living room. In front of the screen. How it got there is another matter.

Most features ARE still being shot on film. The transition to all digital workflow is happening but it will take time. "Film is DEAD" has been around since ... well the beginning of the death of tape and adoption of data cards.

The choice to upgrade is always tricky. For me - it comes down to this. "Do I need it NOW to make money?" And if I don't need it NOW - then waiting a little while will have several benefits.

1) A new and BETTER version of what I'm interested in will be available. (all the bugs worked out)

2) The version I want, will be CHEAPER because a newer one is on the horizon.

3) Used versions of what I need can be picked up for a song, as the early bleeders... er, leaders rush out to buy the latest and greatest.

All bets are off if you have deep pockets and are obsessive compulsive however - and/or if your ego is tied to your gear.

Bryan Cantwell December 22nd, 2010 02:23 PM

@Terry - I have seen the enemy, and he is us! (and our gear obsession!) :)