Which Video camera should I get - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
The opposite is true; AVCHD (h.264/mpeg4) is much more efficient compression than HDV (mpeg 2). So at similar bit rates, AVCHD will have much less visible artifacting than HDV. Compression is roughly twice as efficient as MPEG-2.

That said, the industry has excellent implementations of both.
I agree with that statement. Generally speaking, however, HDV's compression is less efficient than AVC compression. Thus, the bit rate of HDV (or any other form of MPEG-2 compression) actually needs to be relatively high just to avoid looking totally craptastic.

In the cheaper consumer HD camcorders, the limiting factor is not the recording format - but the sensor itself. Some of the sensors in the cheapest Sony HD camcorders do not capture the full 2MP resolution of 1080p video (but since they record only interlaced video, 1.35MP is more than adequate other than the fact that these tiny sensors are mediocre at best in low-light performance).

However, since the two camcorders mentioned are "prosumer" models, the performace from either should be "relatively" good.

Last edited by Randall Leong; December 24th, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Randal, Stellios,

thank you for the information on the compression issue.

How does that work??? I was only looking at the numbers.

I know things are improving all the time, a while back I was looking at a jvc with a hard drive a friend shot with and must say I felt the image was not up to snuff.

thank you for sharing!!!

dale
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I own a Sony Z5 and it's great, for many jobs tape can still be very important. That said I do wish I had the CF card recorder for it as sometimes the faster transfer speeds could be handy.

The great thing about that combo is it gives you the best of both worlds, that said for the price of the combo I think its worth paying out for a Z7 instead, its got far better build quality and it comes with the CF card recorder.

Lastly if you can really push a bit more for an EX1 then that's the option I would go for. Despite being happy with my Z5 in some ways I do wish I could have afforded the little bit more for the EX1 as its a hell of an upgrade from the Z5.

Only other factor to consider is editing. Out of all HD formats HDV is the easiest to edit, doesnt require as powerful computer as XDCAM or AVCHD. That said if you have an i7 computer it should edit any of these formats easily.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion