DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What HD video camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/489751-what-hd-video-camera.html)

Richard Grebby January 4th, 2011 11:40 PM

What HD video camera?

Im looking for an HD video camera to compliment my HDDSLR for weddings as I do some now and then and they need to be filmed.

Ideally im looking for a video camera with the following functions.

HD 1080
manual focus
External mic input 3.5mm jack
audio levels (also works with the external mic)
other manual settings (not a must)

I was looking at the Canon hf-s20

any other suggestions?

Mario Vermunt January 5th, 2011 06:28 AM

How about a 3mos Panasonic HDC SD700 (works with SD-cards) or a HDC HS700 (with internal hard disc). Has manual operation for many functions and decent image quality.

D.J. Ammons January 5th, 2011 09:17 AM

Richard, I think the Canon HFS20 is an excellent choice. I am looking at it myself. I am a wedding videographer who uses two Sony V1U's as my main cams but I also use a Canon HV20 as my emergency back up cam (locked on a wide center shot) and as an alternate audio source (it is mounted with a Rode Videomic).

The HV20 footage cuts in amazingly well with the 3 chip Sony footage. Just a slight difference in color that can be color corrected.

I am looking at the HFS20 or HFS21 as the eventaul replacement for my venerable HV20.

I also hear great things about the Panasonic TM700 but it does not have a LANC input so if you wanted to have a zoom / focus controller mounted on your tripod arm you would be out of luck with it.

Dale Guthormsen January 5th, 2011 09:59 AM

The above suggestions are just dandy. You might look them up on vimeo and see some actual footage for comparisons on how they may match up your dslr. close to start will minimize the amount of color correction later!

I would make certain it had lanc!!! you may not think you need it but with a remote you can control without moving the camera, and control of zooms is excellent on the smaller cams!!!

The rode video mic is the choice of external mic by the way, great producer for the cash outlay!!!

D.J. Ammons January 5th, 2011 10:08 AM

Dale, the audio from that Rode Videomic mounted on my little Canon HV20 has saved my butt more than once when editing a wedding shoot.

I did an outdoor wedding where the wedding music was just the DJ for the reception turning his speakers to point toward the event from the reception area. The speakers were about 75 feet from the action so my wireless lapel mics and Rode NTG2 on the steadicam did not pick up much.

However my trusty little Rode Videomic on the HV20 way at the back about 15 feet beyond the last seat somehow picked up the music from 75 feet away and was the audio we used for everything except the vows and the minister speaking.

Dale Guthormsen January 6th, 2011 07:42 AM

Good morning,

I have had the rode mic ave my butt at several weddings much like yourself!!!!

I had the rode mic on a gl2 and an AT 897 shotgun on the xl2, in the end i used the audio off the gl2 and the rode mic!! I have thought of buying there stereo vid mic a couple times!!!!

I am going on a 10 day shoot with my sony fx 1000 and the video mic is in the bag!!!!

Stelios Christofides January 6th, 2011 09:50 AM

Have a look at this from Canon

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : XA10

Stelios