DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   CES 2011- New Camera choices ahoy! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/489899-ces-2011-new-camera-choices-ahoy.html)

Neil Vitale January 8th, 2011 11:32 AM

CES 2011- New Camera choices ahoy!

OK all, here's one for you..

I originally had my sites set on a CX550V.

But then on the sony site looking for news, I spotted the NEX-VG10.
Right now, my first prosumer model is the Sony AX2000. I like it enough that I think I might have need for a second camcorder like it. so, if anyone else is in the same boat, what do you plan on doing with all these new announcements?

I am currently trying to find someone willing to take my SR11 and XR550V to raise funds :)..

thanks!

Adam Gold January 8th, 2011 12:31 PM

Unless you are planning to get a second AX2000, you won't gain anything by getting rid of your xr550 in favor of one of the newer models. The new cx560 and 700 basically have the same internals as what you currently have, with a couple of added features that may or may not be necessary for you. My xr520v's match very well with my Z5's.

The new cams are more evolutionary than revolutionary and while nice upgrades, aren't strictly necessary from my viewpoint.

Neil Vitale January 8th, 2011 12:53 PM

hmm, that's interesting to know on the XR side... Only problem I want to change camera's is because the other one has flash memory, and I've been told that won't shut off or overload due to loud audio...Like my hard drive based camcorders have done in the past at music based events...

Adam Gold January 8th, 2011 01:00 PM

Ah, that's different. There could be issues with vibrations and HDD vs Flash. But to solve that you could get a used/refurbed cx520 or 550.... you should start seeing many of them in the channels as soon as the new model is released. Check B&H used store and the Sony Online Outlet periodically.

Dave Blackhurst January 8th, 2011 01:25 PM

What Adam said...

Neil, you could also set your XR500 to record to a memory stick (they cost less now, LOTS less than a new toy <wink>), and that should avoid the acoustic shutdown issue.

If it were me, I'd look to upgrade the SR11, as it's got the older CMOS and OIS. But the XR500 has got the latest CMOS, the OIS has everything but the "roll" axis well covered (Sony got that trick figured out with the slightly later intro of the CX500/520). It's not "bad" for practical purposes.

The only "new" small camera Sony released in the CX line is the CX700 - smaller LCD, but has 60p and 24p, and more memory, zebras and peaking (plus I think it has object tracking). I'm considering it to update the CX500's I've got, but it's far from a compelling upgrade, and I don't see it at all as a "gotta have" over the CX550's, which are really quite nice. I personally wish there WERE a "CX560" that had all the firmware updates that seem to have arrived in the CX700, otherwise I find the CX550 to be darn near the perfect small camera.

I've owned a number of Sonys, so I think I can give a "fair" opinion. Hope it's helpful, if you've got other questions shout 'em out!

Adam Gold January 8th, 2011 01:44 PM

HDR-CX560V | Full HD 64GB Flash Memory Camcorder | Sony | Sony Style USA

Yeah, from my reading of the specs, it looks like the only things the 560 adds to the 550 are the progressive modes, and the lens appears to go a bit wider than its predecessor. It appears to lack the firmware enhancements such as Zebra, Expanded Focus and Peaking that you noted. I think the same is true of the 360 vs. the 350.

Les Wilson January 8th, 2011 04:32 PM

No need to stay with Sony. There's no synergy between the Sony cameras you have so nothing lost. The new Canon XA10 may be a better companion for your main squeeze.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...AndAccessories

Neil Vitale January 8th, 2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1605642)
What Adam said...

Neil, you could also set your XR500 to record to a memory stick (they cost less now, LOTS less than a new toy <wink>), and that should avoid the acoustic shutdown issue.

Hmm, that's another good point, now that I know there is really no picture advantage to getting the newer model.....

What's new in the higher end range of $3,000 models?

Dave Blackhurst January 9th, 2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1605686)
No need to stay with Sony. There's no synergy between the Sony cameras you have so nothing lost. The new Canon XA10 may be a better companion for your main squeeze.
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : XA10

While the Canon certainly looks like a very sweet camera, there tends to be a different "look" between Sony and Canon, might make intercutting trickier... Sonys tend to be consistent enough that they intermix fairly well between lines. The accessories of course are going to be mostly different either way!

Dave Blackhurst January 9th, 2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Vitale (Post 1605691)
Hmm, that's another good point, now that I know there is really no picture advantage to getting the newer model.....

What's new in the higher end range of $3,000 models?

From what I've read on the web, Sony has made the CES strictly a "consumer" release platform, meaning that anything they are announcing is targeted at the consumer niche...

So "nothing new", at least not announced from Sony, the Canon Les mentioned is likely worth a look, it's "prosumer", and at the $2K price point has a lot going for it, presuming the image quality matches your existing cam(s).

I still feel like it's hard to beat the bang to buck ratio of the CX550... especially since they may be running specials if they drop it from the lineup. I wish they'd do a firware upgrade to the new features and release it to the existing users, make a "CX550Va" re-release... but that'd make sense... so prolly never happen!