Upgrading to HD from PD-170 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 25th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Ah - it sounds like you're not comparing 1440 x 1080 HDV footage to SD 720 x 576, you're comparing down-converted Z1 and A1 footage to the PD170 and XM2 - is that what you mean?

In that case, I can go along with you - and certainly in the 4:3 mode. My VX2k produced some quite startlingly sharp footage whereas the on-board, 4/11d Z1 down-converter makes SD tapes that are on the good side of so-so.

You say you edited a project that used footage from all the cameras - so was this a 4:3 or 16:9 production?

I shot a wedding as second camera, using my Z1 in SD mode (effectively doing the down-conversion on the fly between chips and tape). My pal used his 170 in the 16:9 mode and know what? We simply couldn't A / B cut them together, the 170 looked so soft. Looks ok letterboxed on a 4:3 CRT, but when upscalled as a DVD into a big LCD TV - no way.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #17
Major Player

From PD170 to Z1's

I too, moved from a 170 to Z1's and thought the Z1 picture (in SD of course) was just a touch softer than 170. But still was happy with my purchase. HOWEVER, I will be listing my Z1's for sale because, for me, it is time go solid state. I have an EX1R that is my primary camera and the speed in which I can load onto the computer is great. For me, it's like going from manually changing the channel to a remote control.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Tom - yes I am talking about 4:3. Mind you 16:9 HD images were cropped rather then letterboxed in the down conversion, and not shot in 4:3 - I found particularly that the A1's SD 4:3 mode was horrible and the Z1's not much better. And yes 16:9 in a native 4:3 SD camera is pretty horrible too; don't know any native 16:9 SD cameras personally.

Mind you it's not just the softness that's the issue for me with the Z1 - I dunno maybe I was just not using it right but it tended to produce nasty coloured edges in certain light too.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I have also heard the Z1U has a softer picture. I had it down to a XH-A1 or Z1U. WIth the ratings both good for each one, albeit more leaning towards the A1 vs the Z1U, the price of the sony was the deciding factor for now.

Once i get the Z1U and if I am not satisifed with it, i will switch out for the XHA1. I know a local producer that uses them and he prefers them over the z1u's. I would like to stick with sony, but for the price the XHA1 looks like a nice camera too, and newer, mind you i would still have to buy used. If i was only buying one i could probably buy new, but i need 2 cameras all the time atleast.

Would make sense to have one of each to have the best of both worlds? I rarely do 2 camera shoots, but I do some local sports online and the scattered 2 camera shoots for dvd or the web. I'm guessing a z1u and a xha1 would be a bit tricky to match up in post.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #20
Trustee

If your mood swings toward the XH-A1 drop me a line. I have one with low hours and wide angle lens that I really haven't used much since we got the Red. I have kept it around since it's such a nice little camera, but have since bought an AF100 for second camera work.

Good Luck!

Dave
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chafe View Post
Would make sense to have one of each to have the best of both worlds? I rarely do 2 camera shoots
It's something that I'd avoid, if only because of the different batteries and chargers you'll have lying about. Also, as you run to your car for your backup cam when nr 1 cam has seized up, your brain will have to switch into nr2 cam mode, with all the changes and differences that entails.

I can't see that matching up in post will be a problem.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #22
Major Player

Mark - had to do exactly that in a recent project all shot on a Z1 and A1 - colour matching was OK (actually set the A1 to match the Z1 in camera) but matching the general look was difficult due the aforementioned softness of the Z1.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion