DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What camera was smashed on American Idol? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/490769-what-camera-smashed-american-idol.html)

Glen Vandermolen January 27th, 2011 08:29 AM

What camera was smashed on American Idol?

Here's the clip of the cameraman - and his camera - that were stomped on by a guy doing backflips. Can anyone identify the camera? I think it's either an EX1 or an XF300.
Either way, I hope the cam was insured.

Camera Man Stomped By 'American Idol' Gymnast (VIDEO)

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2011 08:51 AM

Saw that in the living room last night, but didn't record it -- on the big screen it looked like a Sony. That had to hurt.

Mike Beckett January 27th, 2011 09:08 AM

Yeouch.

Never mind the camera, I hope the cameraman was insured. Looked like he put himself in a very stupid, dangerous position.

Maybe the UK is just a bit more risk-averse at things like this. I'm sure they could've just set the cam on the floor for the guy to somersault over.

Glen Vandermolen January 27th, 2011 09:12 AM

After further review...
I think it's a Canon XF300/305. Notice it has the top-handle flip-out monitor (well... it did) and the XLR inputs are on the body of the camera, in front of the handgrip. You can still see an audio cable attached to the camera. AFAIK, only the XF cams have both those features. I think it also had a wide-angle lens adapter.

I wonder if insurance will cover that kind if an accident? Can they claim negligence of the user?

Mike Marriage January 27th, 2011 11:14 AM

Really stupid thing to do! Maybe stick a GoPro in that position but nothing bigger/more expensive and especially not yourself!

Taky Cheung January 27th, 2011 12:07 PM

That's just painful to watch... ouch

Gary Nattrass January 27th, 2011 01:26 PM

I doubt very much that is an experienced cameraman, these programmes tend to use production assistants (researchers) to do the behind the scenes footage, he was probably a media graduate as any pro cameraman would not have put him/herself in such a situation.

Here in the UK it is the way things are going, why employ expensive trained camera people when you can get media graduates to do it for the experience or minimum wage!

Brian Drysdale January 27th, 2011 01:33 PM

The cameraman didn't think that one out. Improvised, imprecise action and putting yourself in line of fire: it was an accident waiting to happen.

Gary Nattrass January 27th, 2011 04:17 PM

You see Brian we can do it we didn't mention secretaries at all, oh I just did so I had best resign from my sexist media job! :0)

Jeff Anselmo January 27th, 2011 06:04 PM

Yikes! I think I feel more sorry for the camera, than the cameraman!

And I second some of the replies from our friends across the pond, that the cameraman didn't quite think that angle through.

I'm looking at my XF300, and I agree with Chris--it looks like a Sony :)

Best,

Robert Turchick January 27th, 2011 07:17 PM

Front of the mic has a silver word on it. Looks like 4 letters....starts with "S"....Canon would be too many letters

Methinks it's a Z5...which oddly does look a heck of lot like the canon!

Glen Vandermolen January 27th, 2011 10:45 PM

Look at the XLR inputs, they still have the XLR cable attached. They're on the camera body, in front of the handle, like the XF300. The Sony Z5 has the XLRs on the carrying handle, as does the EX1 and EX3..
I looked cafefully, and I can't tell what's written on the front of the camera. Both Canons and Sonys have their logos there.
What other camera has the XLR inputs on the right front of the body, with the monitor flipping out from the front of the handle?

Robert Turchick January 27th, 2011 11:27 PM

Upon further looking...could be an FX1. Has connectors in front of hand grip and top LCD. This is kinda fun!

Dave Jervis January 27th, 2011 11:55 PM

Canon XHA1...?

Glen Vandermolen January 27th, 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1612131)
Upon further looking...could be an FX1. Has connectors in front of hand grip and top LCD. This is kinda fun!

You are correct! The FX1 fits the layout. Very good, sir!