DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Bridal Show (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/490893-bridal-show.html)

Rob Corns January 29th, 2011 11:50 AM

Bridal Show

Hi Everyone!

I've been a member for awhile...more or less lurking and looking at everyone else's posts and topics. But I have a question for those who still do bridal shows.

I'm doing one tomorrow and another at the end of next month. I've been doing bridal shows for many, many years and it's pretty much hit or miss. In this tight economy these days, video is a tough sell. You only have a few seconds to "sell you wares" so to speak and I was wondering what advice you would give to this old timer (me) when a bride is going past your display. Now, I will be having a giant screen showing excerpts from a wedding I shot last year. I'll have my brochures and cards out and I'll be wearing a tux (wife's idea)...but what would your opening line be to these brides-to-be, or their moms or dads or fiance? I am competing with three other videographers who are right around the same price as I am.

Whatever input you can give me would be great!

Rob

Keith Dobie January 29th, 2011 02:36 PM

Hi Rob
I've attended hundreds of trade shows as videographer & photographer ... but have never had a booth at one. As for opening line. I wouldn't do anything too canned or direct. Be friendly and show her that you're nice, reasonable, and professional. A question about their date/venue should get them talking. I like the approach of asking about the venue, because no doubt you've been at all of them and it gets you on some common ground right away. (And by asking about the date you will also find out if you're already booked on that day)

"Oh yes, Bob's Wedding Ranch, have covered many beautiful weddings there! You'll love that place, very rustic. Watch out for the goats!"

If she hasn't picked out a venue, well isn't she lucky to be talking to you! After all as wedding videographer you've been to all the popular venues, many times. Very quickly tell her what you think are some great venues. We're talking maybe 1 minute total talking about that. She will then have established that you're obviously a pro, you don't have bad breath, and you're stunningly handsome in that tux and will fit in to the elegance of her big day. And while you've been speaking she's been sneaking a peak at that video playing on the monitor. You're now halfway home, and can switch gears and make your pitch. "You've probably got a photographer in mind, but have you considered having a wedding video done?"

I'd also suggest that you go and talk to your competition. Be friendly and figure out who does work that is as good as yours. Then try to get them to agree to send brides your way if they are already booked — and you'll do the same. I'd also get in touch with the photographers and try to establish a relationship with them. Introduce yourself and offer to send brides their way for photography if they'll send brides your way for video. Good luck!

Keith Dobie January 31st, 2011 09:32 AM

So how did it go Rob?

Rob Corns February 2nd, 2011 06:29 PM

Re: The Bridal Shiow

Hi Keith!

First of all, thanks for the reply AND the advice! I made a copy of your post and put it in my tux pocket. I've been doing bridal shows for many, many years and it used to be a breeze! Now, brides are more selective and some of them (think they) have more knowledge than the videographer! But, I guess a well-prepared bride is better than one who is clueless!

Well, we had bad weather (as does most of North America it seems), but we had about 50 or so brides who brought along their SO, MOH, mothers, etc with them. I had about 60 brochures made and at the end of the day, I had 43 of them left, so, hopefully some of those BTB will call me. I was extremely (IMHO) funny, friendly and I hopefuully convinced some who had not even considered video that this was the way to go.

I just got the list from the people who ran the show yesterday via e-mail and, alas, there were only about 9 who needed video and about 10 who needed everything out of 75 who had either been there or pre-registered but did not show up. I am in the process of calling and e-mailing them to see when they want to get together for a showing, so we shall see!

Thanks again for your words. I am going to try and post more often on this board!

Rob

Keith Dobie February 3rd, 2011 09:45 AM

Thanks for posting the results Rob, that is very interesting. Sounds like you really have to go out and earn each and every booking. Not sure if you are using social media at all, but I've just recently started using Twitter. Out of the blue someone on there contacted me wanting a quote for a wedding video. Turns out she is a local photographer who has a friend getting married. Maybe referrals from photographers is a good angle. I am pretty low key on Twitter, but my profile does say what I do. Might be something to consider. This week I'm going to be creating a Facebook business page as well.