Sub-$10K Portable Camcorder+DSLR "systems"... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Sub-$10K Portable Camcorder+DSLR "systems"...

Fewer and fewer clients are asking for HDV, so my trusty Z1U/HV30 duo is being called upon less and less. My last large HDV client finally started accepting tapeless, so perhaps an upgrade is in order. I'd also like to consolidate systems (also have a HVX200) down to 2 decent cams. Most of my work is instructionals, interviews, and documentary, I'm admittedly still (sadly) a bottom-feeder (so dollars are rare), and frequently travel.

Goals are:
- shallow DOF capability for interviews, as needed
- 4:2:2 output in the event a client needs/requests it
- Pro-level single-system sound
- 2 Cams for multiple angles in one take when necessary
- be able to carry everything in one carry-on

Juggling three solutions (and entertaining others as they're mentioned):

1- Canon XF300 + 7D (used) or 60D
2- Panasonic AF100 + GH2 (+Ki-Pro)
3- Keep the HVX, add some extra P2 cards and a 5D

I like the idea of two M4/3 cams sharing interchangeable lenses, but dislike all that AVCHD and having to mess with a KiPro or the like. Slightly more keen on the GH2 over the Canon DSLR's (purely personal aesthetics). HVX/5D.2 could turn out cheaper, and get a better DSLR, but would be driven insane trying to match footage on what are respectively among the worst and best professional cameras in low-light conditions.

What do you presently have, use, dream of, hate, casually glance at indifferently, contemplate, rue, or plot?
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion