DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Expanding to better DOF - need advice! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/491722-expanding-better-dof-need-advice.html)

David W. White February 13th, 2011 08:44 PM

Expanding to better DOF - need advice!

Okay, I'm back in college getting a degree in video production. I've always wanted to make my videos look like more professional quality and I've tried to do that by playing around with lighting on the set and digitally manipulating it in post. It looks okay, but I heard about mounting a standard 35mm still camera lens on the front of my 58mm video camera to get the better DOF look from pro films. I went to Jag35 and saw one of their options for $99 - which now that I have the money to buy one they've conveniently discontinued (grrr!).

I am not having much luck locating what I want so I'm turning to the experts here on this site to help me (please!!!) get this done. Here's what I have:

Video Camera: Sony DSR-PD170 3ccd 58mm lens
Camera lenses: both come from an old Minolta X-370 35mm still camera (I hope I give the right info)
Lens 1: Sears 55mm auto zoom 1:40 f=80-200mm
Lens 2: Minolta MD 50mm 1:1.7

The camera and lenses were given to me by a relative. They are OLD!!! And have no books with them, so I don't know that much else about it.

But like I said, I looked at Jag35.com and was planning on getting the Student Bundle. Now that I have the lenses, I don't need the bundle, but I just can't see why they stopped carrying the $99 adapter and insist on selling the more expensive model now.

If anyone has any information, mainly where and how to start looking, that would be helpful, I would really appreciate it. And if there is a thread already posted here, I'd love a link.

Thanks a bunch!

David.

Brian Drysdale February 14th, 2011 02:50 AM

I'm not sure you'd get the best quality from that adapter, especially since you're using a standard def camera.

With so many people moving over to DSLRs rather than 35mm adapters, you may find you'll be able to buy a used adapter with a moving ground glass screen. Regardless of make, you'll need to check that any adapter has the correct mount for your stills lenses.

You can download the PD 170 manual on line.
Sony DSR-PD170 Digital Camcorder Operating Instructions for the DSR-PD170 | ManualsOnline
Sony DSR-PD170 Manuals, Support and Troubleshooting - Camcorders

David W. White February 14th, 2011 05:34 AM

Oh, I have the manual for the PD-170 on my computer already. I meant that I don't have the manual for the Minolta or those lenses.

What I also meant was that I know the size of the mounting plate on the Minolta lenses (standard 35mm camera mount) and I know the size of the threads on the Sony video camera lens (58mm.) But what I'm having trouble finding is the correct adapter to merge the two together. I know they are out there because, like I said, Jag35.com had them at one point. But now I'm having trouble coming up with the correct keywords in performing a search to find what I want. I know that eventually I'll need to spend some serious money, but for now, that $99 adapter I found (and was discontinued) is exactly what I need.

David.

Brian Drysdale February 14th, 2011 06:52 AM

Here's another brand that does a similar thing. However, I suspect that it may cost more than $99.

Cinemek - Tools for film makers.

At that price you may be into DIY.

David W. White February 14th, 2011 07:32 AM

Cool! Thanks for the link!

David.