Need help, Matching XL1S and PD-150! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 14th, 2002, 02:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help, Matching XL1S and PD-150!

Dear all fellow posters and DV enthusiasts,

I own an XL1S myself, and my DP owns a PD-150. We plan to shoot a short near the end of the year and would like to see if we could use both cameras for the project, but under closer inspection of the footage, both cameras produces a different look.

With two cameras, I think we could save a tonne of money on hiring costs of the other equipments and best of all, we save a lot of money on location hire.

Sharpness and color is two major probelms we have trouble matching, along with others such as white balance.

Should I forget about white balance at all?

Does anyone have the experience in matching the footage for the XL1s and the PD-150? If so, please drop me a line, I need any help I can get.

Thanks,

Daniel
Daniel Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 02:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Whats the point!?!?

I don't see the point in using two camera's for a short. Most of the time you won't need to run two camera's at the same time. Only situations i can imagine is in dialogue (for your coverage) but then again you could do the same scene a couple of times over and get it right, and you have things much more under control when shooting with one camera. Other situation would be for a special effect (i would use several cameras for an effect) if you can't do the effect several times. And isn't this a matter the DP should look after? Anyway, i wish you good luck with your short!
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 10:42 AM   #3
Wrangler

I agree with Bryan, I can't imagine too many scenes in a shot where you NEED two cameras, where one couldn't be made to work. I'd much rather just shoot more takes with a single camera than spend the time in post trying to make the footage look similar.

Unless you were doing stunts of special effects of course.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 06:56 PM   #4
Rextilleon

Unless of course you are shooting a documentary---it can make a big difference-----
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 07:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

True David,

No offense but were talking bout a short here buddy.
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 07:27 PM   #6
Rextilleon

short documentary--just kidding---I agree with you guys about fiction films.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2002, 12:07 PM   #7
New Boot

Shot lots of shorts.

And I disagree with the common thought that only one camera is needed. If you can get two cameras it's ALWAYS better. You can get dialogue that syncs perfectly. Different angles of the same action. And speed up your shooting day considerably.

A good 10 minute short can take 16 hrs of filming. And if you are shooting with daylight you've got the matching light to contend with. Plus the actors getting tired. Nothing makes dialogue easier than shooting all the angles at once. Then you don't have to get three perfect takes from the various angles. You just need one (and one for safety if you're anal like me) with all the cameras in place.

Can you shoot it all with one camera? Sure. But you can eliminate a lot of problems with two or three camera setups.

I've done over 10 shorts of 10-30minutes and have learned that having two cameras saves a lot. As for camera matching...that could be difficult. I would probably try to use a monitor to color correct on set. Then go to After Effects. It's better to have two of the same camera IMHO.

Speaking of...check out one of the shorts I worked on REUNION, at www.triggerstreet.com. It's also going to play at the RAD Film Festival Dec. 13-15 in LA.
MrGranger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion