Effects of earthquake on imaging industry. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Effects of earthquake on imaging industry.

I feel for the Japanese people, I am even thinking of volunteering. I am sure there will be truckloads of supplies taken to ports and I can drive a truck. But I can't keep myself from thinking of NAB and the new imaging devices we were dreaming about before this tragedy.

At first, I knew the resilince of the Japanese people could overcome anything, time was the only factor. Now the nuclear problems pose another risk.

I know humans are much more important than cameras but the timing could not have been worse for new devices. They were finished with some models, had they started on the new ones? I was thinking that 2011 was going to be a big your for camcorders and DSLR's. But important parts of the country have been impacted. I am not sure of the imaging industry, but others like the automobile industry outsourced work and I wonder if this could hurt the imaging industry.

It would be foolish to think Canon or Sony would give any statements so soon as the situation is still unfolding and the priorities are people. But I do wonder where in the timeline the new products are at. I also wonder how many facilities are damaged, infrastructure damaged, subcontracters and outsourcing damage. I could only imagine that resources within the country will be directed toward priorities such as health, damage control, cleanup, rebuilding infrastructure etc. I also thought that there might be a run on existing stock.

It is obvious that business has been disrupted, the question is to what degree. The Japanese people are as resilient as can be found on earth, but there task ahead is huge and it is certain that priorities will have to be shifted.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Effects of earthquake on imaging industry.

An AP photo

boxcars.jpg picture by DonRParrish - Photobucket

Panasonic and Canon make brief statements

""Panasonic, Canon

Panasonic Corp. said several employees at its three factories in Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures sustained minor injuries. The Osaka-based company is still assessing the damage to facilities, Yuichi Takatoku, a Tokyo-based spokesman for the company, said by phone.

Canon Inc., the world’s biggest camera maker, didn’t suffer damage to plants that would halt output, said Hirotomo Fujimori, a spokesman in Tokyo, where the company is based"".

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ories.html?amp
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Major Player

I suspect it will be some time before any of this information is known...there will be an impact, almost certainly.
As for voluteering; don't think...do.

I've participated in medical/dental/humanitarian aid trips for a while. I have no medical training, and I remember the first time I went questioning my worth. I was reassured by many of the Doctors and Dentists that the value general helpers brought to the table is far greater than what they themselves did. I did not believe them then, but I certainly do now.

the Japanese people will need all the help they can get, for quite some time to come. Volunteers are a rare commodity; if you ask 100 people if they would, 99 will say yes. When it comes time to actually get on the plane, you'll be travelling with one.

Don't talk, do. Talk is cheap; committing to help is another thing entirely. Were I not booked for major surgery next week, I would be on a plane today
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

A lot depends on which plants that were affected by a devastating natural disaster. It seems that the effect is total in one area or band of coastline and then relatively minor in others.

Sony, Toyota Halt Plants as Quake Damages Japanese Factories - Businessweek

I suspect the companies will continue operating as near normal as possible, while national and international agencies will deal with the aftermath of the earthquake. This includes the serious, ongoing nuclear power plant cooling problem and thousands of missing people.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Major Player

I kind of figured this, volunteering at this point is for donations only. The Japanese are unlike some and will pitch in to help themselves. The Red cross has been flooding with offers for help but advise it is not likely anyone will go to japan.

Disaster Alert: Earthquake in Japan, Tsunami Warnings American Red Cross Disaster Newsroom
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

One of the biggest and most widespread issues for mfg at the moment is lack of power as even the inland factories depend on power from the shoreside generating plants. They've just announced rolling blackouts in Tokyo so they can shunt power Northward.

We watch NHK via satellite and there's nothing at all on TV except quake coverage. Also lots of issues like inability of workers to get to the factories without public transportation. A lot of my friends in Tokyo had to walk miles to get home, but at least they were safe, as were all of my wife's family.

It's a huge mess. We were watching a while ago when they reported that the first four floors of a hospital were under water. And several of the evacuation areas were low-lying so people that escaped their falling homes congregated in these areas only to be washed away en masse.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

A few years ago, there was a hypothesis that the inevitable big-one mega-disaster in Japan had the potential to massively disrupt the global economy as the nation liquidated its offshore investments to fund its recovery.

The money men had better get this one right or the question may not be of when the next product generation comes to market but whether the same extensive market will still exist.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #8
Major Player

there was discussion on CNN late last night about the economic reprocussions of the quake on both Japan and the world. This was apparently initiated after the Governement announced there would be rolling power outages in all of southern Japan until at least May to accommodate northern demand.

The economists in this discussion were comparing the economic impact on Japan with the weeks following the Hiroshima/Nagasaki blasts that ended world war II. There seemed to be general concensus that the country's production abiity and capacity would be set back to 1990's levels or more. The impact on the global economy is still too tough to read, but thought to be dire.

The devastation is widespread, however with manpower and infrastructure ( which Japan has in great quantities), the clean up will be nowhere near as big a problem as the energy problem. Having taken at least two reactors out permanently by injecting sea-water, with many others suffering some level of damage...that's an enormous problem with no short, easy or cheap solution. Some of the stats quoted were 3-5 years for construction and certification of a new reactor, multi billion dollar cost per, and the fact that Japan is even more heavily reliant on electrical energy than the US ( hard to believe) without the other alternative methods North America enjoys for it's provision ( coal, natural gas), they simply have no option but to use nuclear energy.

I suspect that a true picture of this events impact won't be known for at least a year, and I don't thik the picture will be very pretty.
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Canon damage report

This Canon PDF release may be easier to read than whats below http://www.canon.com/news/2011/mar13e.pdf

March 13, 2011
Canon Inc.
Damage Report for Canon Inc. Operations and Canon Companies
following Major Earthquake in Japan
The following is a summary overview of damage reported at Canon Inc. operating sites and Canon Group companies in Japan as of 15:00 JST on Sunday, March 13, 2011.
 The Company continues working to ascertain damages and determine when operations can resume.
 With regard to Canon offices, plants and Canon Group companies in Japan, there have been reports from several sites of power outages, damage to buildings and stoppages in production equipment.
 Below is an overview highlighting damage, production outlooks, etc., for sites in northern Honshu (the area hardest hit by the earthquake).
 The earthquake had the greatest impact on the following three Canon Inc. operation sites and five Canon Group companies
 Damage was significant at Canon Inc.’s Utsunomiya Office and Fukushima Canon Inc.
Canon Inc.
Operation Site
Operations on March 14
Operations from March 15 onward
Utsunomiya Office
・ Utsunomiya Plant
・ Utsunomiya Optical Products Plant
・ Optics R&D Center
Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture
Injuries: 15
Suspended
TBD
However, time will likely be needed before operations resume
Toride Plant
Toride, Ibaraki Prefecture
None
Suspended
TBD
Ami Plant
Inashiki-gun, Ibaraki Prefecture
None
Suspended
TBD
Group Company
Operations on March 14
Operations from March 15 onward
Canon Precision Inc.
Hirosaki, Aomori Prefecture
None
Suspended
TBD
Canon Optron, Inc.
Yuki, Ibaraki Prefecture
None
Suspended
TBD
Canon Chemicals Inc.
・ Iwama Plant
Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture
Iwama Plant: Kasama, Ibaraki Prefecture
None
Suspended
Tsukuba HQ will operate as usual
TBD
Fukushima Canon Inc.
Fukushima, Fukushima Prefecture
None
Suspended
TBD
However, time will likely be needed before operations resume
Canon Mold Co., Ltd.
Kasama, Ibaraki Prefecture
None
Suspended
TBD
 While the earthquake had a slight impact on Canon offices, plants and Group companies in the western half of Honshu, there have been no injuries and no significant damage to buildings or equipment. Accordingly, operations are scheduled to resume as usual beginning Monday, March 14. Additionally, the Company is now working to determine potential impacts in the future.
 In the event that production operations may be suspended for one month or more, the Company will consider making use of alternate sites that were not damaged by the earthquake as a means of continuing production.
Ends
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Sony report

Sony report

http://www.canon.com/news/2011/mar13e.pdf

Sony Group Operations Affected by Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake, Tsunami and Related Power Outages
(Tokyo, March 14, 2011) - Operations at several Sony Corporation and Sony Group sites and facilities have been affected by the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake and tsunami, and Sony is monitoring the status of each of these sites on an on-going basis, while also considering the most effective recovery measures. Sony also has responded to reports of widespread power outages by voluntarily suspending operations at several sites. No significant injuries have been reported to employees working at any of these sites when the earthquake or tsunami occurred.

The company is currently evaluating the full impact of the earthquake, tsunami and related power outages on Sony's businesses and consolidated financial results.

As of 11:00 am, March 14 (JST), manufacturing operations have been suspended at the following affected production sites:

・Sony Chemical & Information Device Corporation,
  ・Tagajyo Plant (Miyagi Prefecture) <Magnetic Tapes, Blu-ray Discs etc.>
  ・Tome Plant, Nakada/Toyosato Sites (Miyagi Prefecture) < Optical devices, IC cards etc.>
 ・Sony Shiroishi Semiconductor Inc. (Miyagi Prefecture) <Semiconductor Lasers etc.>
 ・Sony Energy Devices Corporation, Koriyama Plant (Fukushima Prefecture) <Lithium Ion Secondary Batteries etc.>
 ・Sony Energy Devices Corporation, Motomiya Plant (Fukushima Prefecture) <Lithium Ion Secondary Batteries etc.>
 ・Sony Manufacturing Systems Corporation, Kuki Plant (Saitama Prefecture) <Surface mounting equipment etc.>
 ・Sony DADC Japan Inc., Ibaraki Facility (Ibaraki Prefecture) <CDs, DVDs etc.>

In addition to these manufacturing sites, Sony Corporation Sendai Technology Center (Tagajyo, Miyagi) has ceased operation due to earthquake damage. While certain production sites in Japan other than those listed above have been moderately affected, there has been no report of employee injury or facility damage, and operations continue. Possible damage at other Sony Group companies in Japan is currently being reviewed. Additionally, Sony Chemical & Information Devices Corporation, Kanuma Plant (Tochigi Prefecture), Sony Energy Devices Corporation, Tochigi Plant (Tochigi Prefecture) and Sony Corporation Atsugi Technology Center (Atsugi, Kanagawa) temporarily suspended operations on a voluntary basis, to assist with the alleviation of widespread power outages.
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Japan's Camera Factories...

Don't know whether or not this includes the video camera divisions....

UPDATED: Japan Photo Industry Affected by Earthquake and Tsunami from Adorama Learning Center

This however, is trivial...compared to the hardships the quake/tsunami victims are dealing with currently. If you can, I'm sure the following organizations will appreciate any $$ amount you can donate to them:

http://japanearthquakeanimalrelief.c...ue-and-support

and / or

Northern Japan Earthquake Relief Fund | causes.com

My hopes for a strong and fast recovery for all affected there.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Friday, March 18 update

From: Japan quake impact on auto makers, electronics firms - The Malaysian Insider

Japan quake impact on auto makers, electronics firms
March 18, 2011
March 18 — Following is a roundup of the impact of Japan’s devastating earthquake and tsunami on auto makers and electronics makers.

Plant shutdowns in Japan threaten supplies to manufacturers across the globe of everything from semiconductors to car parts.

AUTO MAKERS

Toyota Motor Co has halted operations at its 12 main assembly plants in Japan. That closure has been extended to next Tuesday (March 22), and will result in lost production of 95,000 vehicles. From Monday (March 21), Toyota had said it would begin making car parts at plants near its base in Toyota City, central Japan, for overseas assembly facilities. It had said it would resume this week making parts for service centres to repair vehicles already on the road.

Honda Motor Co is extending the production halt in Japan to Wednesday (March 23) from March 20.

Honda’s announcement came after the automaker distributed a memo to US dealers saying it would review each dealers’ product allotments for vehicles to be built after May.

Honda made 69,170 cars in January in Japan, which accounts for a round a quarter of its production.

Nissan Motor Co said output has been stopped at three of its four car assembly factories in Japan. Nissan made 81,851 cars in January in Japan, where it manufactures 23 per cent of its vehicles. Goldman Sachs has calculated that one day’s lost production costs Toyota around ¥6 billion in

profit. Honda and Nissan lose around ¥2 billion yen in profit each lost day.

Mazda Motor Corp said it plans to suspend production at two plants in southwestern Japan until Sunday (March 20), but has not yet decided how to proceed after that.

Fuji Heavy Industries Co said all five of its car and parts-related plants for its Subaru-brand vehicles in Gunma prefecture, north of Tokyo, will be shut at least until Sunday.

Renault Samsung, the South Korean unit of French car maker Renault SA, said it will cut back on weekend and overtime production because of a potential parts shortage.

General Motors , the largest US automaker, said it would temporarily idle its pick-up truck plant in Louisiana due to a parts shortage. GM’s South Korean unit said it, too, was considering cutting back on weekend and overtime production.

ELECTRONICS MAKERS:

Sony Corp opened one factory, which makes optical films used in LCDs, and adhesives, on Wednesday. Seven plants, which make an array of devices from IC cards to Blu-ray discs to lithium batteries, remain closed. Sony is not sure when the plants will resume operations. Some of those plants’ output is supplied to other manufacturers, including customers overseas.

Toshiba said output was still halted at a factory in Iwate prefecture making system LSI chips for microprocessors and image sensors. It has begun work to bring the factory back on line, but has no timeframe to resume output. Toshiba said an assembly line at a plant in Japan making small liquid crystal displays for smartphones and other devices will be closed for a month to repair damaged machinery.

Canon said it may not be able to resume production this week at three plants that sustained serious damage in the quake. One makes lenses, another ink jet printers and the third produces equipment for making LCD screens.

Canon said it was also forced to suspend production until Friday at one of its main plants in Oita, on the southern island of Kyushu, where it makes cameras, lenses and compact photo printers. The world’s largest maker of digital cameras said it was having difficulty securing necessary parts.

Nikon Corp said four of its production facilities were closed, including two of its precision-equipment plants, but the effect on cameras and lenses is seen as minor, since most output for those devices is in Thailand. Nikon does not have a timetable to re-open the plants.

Panasonic said none of its northern Japan manufacturing facilities, including those making optical pick-ups and other electronic parts, digital cameras and audio equipment, were badly damaged, but it would take time to resume operations as infrastructure needed to be restored.

Renesas , the world’s No.5 chipmaker, said it has halted operations at 8 of its facilities and was unsure when it would restart production there.

OTHERS

Shin-Etsu Chemical , the world’s leading maker of silicon wafers, said two of its plants near the worst-hit areas remain offline. The firm has not said when it will restart operations. Some of the wafers made here are shipped to chip companies overseas. Shin-Etsu is trying to boost production elsewhere, particularly of 300-mm wafers, to make up the shortfall.

Jamco , a Japanese company making galleys for the long-awaited Boeing 787 Dreamliner, said delivery of the component could be delayed if gasoline becomes even more scarce. — Reuters
Old March 19th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Here's a press release from Sony

Sony Global - News Releases - Sony Group Operations Affected by Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake, Tsunami and Related Power Outages
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Closing

Likely to be the first direct result from the Japan quake, MDEA, the manufacturer of big screen televisions and large (stadium) displays announced yesterday, March 18, 2011 the closing of all operations as of April 29.

Mitsubishi, my former employer, has been struggling with adverse conditions for a few years now, with the market flooded by cheap televisions, it had a hard time making profit. I don't know the details, but the quake could have just been the last push to make the decision.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion