Remote Control Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote Control Camera

I shoot wildlife and this is my current project. I have bought a remote controlled 4 wheeled drive car. This car has a platform that allows for remote control of pan and tilt. I want to mount a HD video camera on this platform. I need to turn the camera on and off remotely as well as have a live view feed from the camera to my removed location for control.

Any ideas on camera make and model and how to view and control the camera? I am a Canon guy. The car is large enough to mount a SLR.

Ya All Be Good
Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Remote Control Camera

first, you need to pick a camera. There are a lot of wireless control systems and some that will stream video, but they are not cheap, nor are they without lots of problems.
Most are effective to a 100 feet or so, assuming ou have clear line of sight...at least the systems under 100K are.You can easily rig a servo control from your RC rig to press the shutter/acivate video mode etc. and use a spare radio channel for that.
To have full, wireless control and live feed video that is reliable is really expensive.Also, much of that equipment simply won't put up with being thrashed over rough ground tied to an RC vehicle.
A low cost "experiment" if you will, is to mount a gopro HD on the car, and drive it across a field. then review the video.
That said, there is a gopro supplier; Eye Of Mine Homepage that offers a variety of effectively homebuilt wireless control/monitoring systems for the gopro hero. you may want to explore something ike that first to test the viability of what you're trying to achieve before investing a lot of money into a high end system
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Wayne, thanks for the great advise.

I will do as you suggest and start with the GoPro. The Eye of Mine site offers some great products.

Fun Project
Kent
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Let us know how you make out! The gopro is a surprisingly good little camera for its size and price. It's also as tough as nails...it'll be interesting to see what you do with it
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you Wayne. I'll keep you posted.
Kent
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I found this app at B & H.
Control Your HDSLR with an iPad App

It uses a Wi Fi set up. To be honest I do not understand exactly how Wi Fi works. I have one in my home and it works like magic. My question. Is there some way to set up Wi Fi without being hooked to the internet via a lap top computer away from electrical power?

To give an update on my robot. The car is built with remote pan and tilt. I decided to use a Canon T3i for my camera. I have purchased a video transmitter and Rx to be displayed on battery operated tv remotely. The only time I will be able to view is when the camera is on. The camera will be turned on/off via a servo controlled by the remote unit that operates the car. Theoretically it should work. Almost ready to test.

If there is some way to set up a remote Wi Fi away from the internet and 110 volt power than all camera functions could be controlled. With the current plan I will only have control of on/off, pan & tilt and of course be able to move the car.

Kent
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Major Player

you could use a portable wifi hub like a Mi-fi unit I suppose, but bear in mind wi-fi is really limited in range...I have a mi-fi, and it's great as long and you're 10-15 feet from the unit; beyond that the signal falls off rapidly
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Wayne I need at least a 1/4 mile.
Kent
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Kent,
You may find the solution you're looking for at RunRyder.com. Don't recall if I mentioned the site before; it's an R.C. hobbyist website, and there is a very active forum there on aerial remote imaging.
Some of those folks are absolute geniuses at getting a wireless video signal from an R.C airplane to the ground; many are actually flying using VR glasses. I would think that if there's a solution to be found, that might be where you'll find it
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Wayne;
Thanks I will give it a try.
Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion