I Hate HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 14th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

I Hate HD

Just edited a small amount of Varicam 24p HD footage recently, and I have to say I hate HD.

When you're editing HD, everything is so much slower. Drop in any effect in Final Cut Pro and it needs to render. If you want to do complicated effects, you start getting renders that take 6 minutes for 10 seconds of footage.

Granted, HD does look better.
A- The cameras tend to be really nice. But if you work with SD, you could just get something like a Panasonic SDX900 (DVCPRO50).
B- Ignoring the camera (which you can do if you work off downconverts), HD is only sharper.
C- Most people can't even get HD quality. In the case of this project, the target format is web download/streaming.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now...
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Major Player

HD editing....

HD is going to be a new experience for everyone when it comes to the editing systems and the complications that seem to go with it. I do remember a time about 10 years ago when rendering a few minutes on Premiere took hours!!!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Didn't we all go through this process just ten short years ago? History repeats itself!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Old Boot

It's not History "repeating itself", it is how WE repeat our reactions to History that is repeated - now THAT is worth repeating!

Seriously - and just for a nano second here - it is this which makes us the thinkers we are.

We are mid-term in the evolution of survivalists and sapiens. We ain't there yet. We can only refer to history as to that which places us "outside" a problem, so we can view it in some form of isolation.

Bertrand Russel had it for me .. and here I badly paraphrase, "It is not the act we need to apprehend, but the act of apprehension we need to apprehend". For me, this means it is not just how we "solve" a problem, but the "way" we go about solving problems that can in itself becomes part of the problem solving, which in turn can add to the original problem.

It is not just about having an appealing homily "History repeats" that gives shape to our futile quests - it's that I/we need to do this. It IS part of our survivalist urge. And it can be that which also "shackles" our creativity to.

So what Premiere took 10 hours to render 2 minutes? That was 10 hours we could "think" about finding ways to make it do it faster. Plus, we have had to have experienced "A" so that we will be aware of the need for "B".

Blasto! I just wanna get shorter DoF with my XM2! Nothing more .. nothing less . . .

Regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion