Gear dilemma! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Gear dilemma!

I am having a hard time deciding what gear I want and what to keep or sell......

At the moment I have a Canon XF300. It is excellent but I am wondering if it's really a bit overkill for my needs. I bought it with the idea of starting to produce some aviation DVDs. I have since been all but offered a great job in the merchant navy! and I think I would be silly to turn it down. With that in mind I was wondering if selling the XF300 and getting a Sony NX5E/U would be a good idea? I think they are very similar in quality? I think for a hobby the NX5 might be a more justifiable price.

I could then put the money saved towards a Canon XF100 that I could take with me on my travels. Or would a palm size cam be better? Like a Panasonic TM900 or similar.

I am just so confused with all this!
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Gear dilemma!

Hi Andy. Not to complicate things, but how about a DSLR that also shoots HD video? I have my work camera (sony EX1R) but I would prefer to have something more compact for personal use, day trips, family events, etc. I don't have a DSLR yet but my old Canon ZR series DV consumer camcorder and Canon G3 digital camera are really showing their age. I'll be replacing them with a DSLR. I can see the advantages of going with one of the consumer camcorders though, they really are incredibly compact these days and make a very nice picture given enough light.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Sounds to me like you'd have the opportunity to film a lot of stock footage, so if I was going that route I'd be inclined to take the camera that would produce the most marketable material.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Keith - I have used DSLRs for video a bit but just don't get on with them and they are not that good for what I want. I would/will shoot a fair bit of moving things like aeroplanes etc so DSLRs just don't cut it for that sort of thing imo.
Also with my DSLR I always had to lug a two or three big lenses as well as the camera in order to have the zoom range covered. Even then having to change lenses all the time was a bit of a pain.
I can totally understand your point but for me I think it would just not be right.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion