DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   help me understand (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/493642-help-me-understand.html)

Matt McMeans March 26th, 2011 05:23 PM

help me understand

so basicly ive been watching some new skate videos and wonder why the motion looks weird but really good. i know this is probably a stupid question but i would like to know what makes its that way and how i can get my footage to look like it. the first clip is what i mean by look weird, the second is how all my clips look.

YouTube - Welcome to the Team Tom Asta
YouTube - Untitled 3

Donald McPherson March 27th, 2011 01:58 AM

Re: help me understand

Fisheye lense. Makes it look like you are looking throgh a glass ball.

Gary Nattrass March 27th, 2011 02:51 AM

Hi Matt I think there has been some post production done on the first clip to zoom in on the footage and remove the black vignetting that you can also see on your clip.

I think some tunnel type blurring has also been done so that it makes you concentrate on the centre of the frame and the subject, its also black and white and this too can be done in post.

Both have been shot with fisheye lenses and you can also see the shadow of the camera on the first clip as these lenses are so super wide angle, as you probably know you need to get real close with this type of lens but with the post production work added it will zoom you into the action even further.

Ok that will also probably degrade the picture quality too but that can be a cool effect for this type of footage.

Hope this helps.

Dave Blackhurst March 27th, 2011 02:55 PM

While both were a fisheye, looked to me like the first was a "super fisheye" (the edges naturally begin to blur and distort the farther you go into that range), so the camera op could get in even closer to the talent.

First clip was B&W, but I really didn't notice any thing in the motion signature - did I miss something? I was expecting something with 30P and jerky motion or something like that from the posted Q. It did look like clip 1 was shot with some sort of rig to better stabilize it, there was just a touch of "roll" present in the second clip.

Burk Webb March 27th, 2011 03:36 PM

After a quick look i'm guessing the first "weird but good" motion clip is using a pretty fast shutter. This can work really great for action stuff. If you stop on a frame of that video with some fast motion (like the skateboard flip) you will see there is no motion blur. If you like the look just crank up your shutter speed and give it a go. It also looks like that clip was shot in 24p but it's hard to tell from Youtube.

Mike Chalmers March 28th, 2011 02:11 AM

Another thought: It's not exactly black and white: more like very desaturated with a bit of a colour grade.

I'm not sure what aspect of the weird shooting you like, though!

Stan Harkleroad March 28th, 2011 07:25 AM

They both look like standard fish eye lens shots to me. People who film skate videos use them often I believe. The only thing I see with the first clip is maybe it's a bit pixellated from Youtube compression but it looks normal otherwise.

Matt McMeans March 28th, 2011 04:19 PM

thanks for all the post ill try the shutter speed, but the stuff about the color and blur i already knew how to do i just want my motion to look as smooth. i am currently useing a sony fx 7, so maybe i just need to get a cam that shoots in progresive format i bet right?

Adam Gold March 28th, 2011 05:03 PM

60p, yes. 30p, no. 24p, very no.