BAD Wavy Effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Major Player

BAD Wavy Effect

Can someone please tell me why I'm getting this horrible, wavy, colored effect on some my footage? You can see it the worst on the roof and windows. If you look at some of the windows it's like the blinds are moving up and down rapidly.
I used a Canon T2i (24p / 1920 x 1080), Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS lens, The ISO was at 100, F-Stop 5.0.

Last edited by Oliver Darden; April 2nd, 2011 at 02:48 AM.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: BAD Wavy Effect

Ok, so after some more research it seems this is "Moire", but I mean REALLY?..... I can't film windows, roofs, and blinds.....? Does it happen on the 7D as well or is this just a t2i problem? Any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The footage isn't interlaced, is it?

From what I've experienced, progressive footage is generally free of that artifact.

Does it show up when you view the footage at full resolution on a monitor that's true 1920x1080?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Major Player

That's Moire - and pretty much all vDSLR's suffer from it terrible because of how they get video from their large sensors (they don't read every line generally - they skip lines, this causes greater aliasing, which causes greater moire.)

Basically, there is no fix - the cameras aren't actually designed with video in mind, and this is one of the results of that.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:26 AM   #5
Trustee

There is a fix, buy a video camera or if you need big sensor shallow DOF an Af101 or an F3 ;0)
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I use a GH2 and have no problems with Moire..

here is a video

David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Major Player

So people with DSLR's just deal with this? I just spent $1200 bucks on a lens and now I'm questioning whether or not it was worth it...

Anyone ever try a Caprock 2.0?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
There is a fix, buy a video camera or if you need big sensor shallow DOF an Af101 or an F3 ;0)
I'd love to buy an AF101 Gary, but I can't afford $4,795 for just the body.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
So people with DSLR's just deal with this? I just spent $1200 bucks on a lens and now I'm questioning whether or not it was worth it...

Anyone ever try a Caprock 2.0?
7D Caprock 2.0 Anti Moire Filter on Vimeo
Firstly - good class is always a good investment, because it holds it's value much better than electronics, and you can sell it to a number of potential users (still and video).

Secondly, I haven't seen anyone using any anti moire filter, but one thing they are going to do is soften the image. That's guaranteed, so if sharpness isn't your main concern then you have options in terms of not getting moire - you just can't have footage sharply in focus on the sensor, with lots of parallel lines, and not have moire, - due to the practical limitations of the video design.

A lot of people do just deal with it - because they haven't brought the DSLR to shoot video of subject matter where moire is going to crop up a lot. At the price you've paid for your camera, you've got a pretty decent stills camera that can also shoot lots of video subjects pretty well. That's something that you couldn't get only a few years ago.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Major Player

All very true Craig, thanks.
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Oliver,

I have seen some anti-moire filters popping up recently, you might want to check them out. I have had some more subtle problems in the past but haven't had a chance to test these yet:

Now available: my DSLR anti-moire filter for FCP! Free download! Jorgen Escher

"FREE" DSLR Moire Filter plug in FCP | Digi1080p

I'm not sure what NLE you use, I believe these are FCP only..

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers

Mike
Mike Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Mike, I tried the plug-in and it didn't really do anything to help the wide footage. I had the Chroma Blur and Softening amount turned ALL the way up, and there was no noticeable difference. After further reading it seems this plug-in works best with micro-moire issues. The site says "This filter is less effective in removing moire appearing in regular and/or artificial patterns such as brick walls."

This plug-in DID however help me with some close-up shots of a computer screen that had really bad Moire and flicker. This is definitely a plug-in I will be using. Thank you.
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #13
Regular Crew

No problem, sorry it didn't help the big stuff.

I know it's too late to do on this project, but one work-around - which can even make footage look a lot better - is to take some images before/after shooting the video and use it as a matte painting. Obviously this only works when locked off and requires more work in post, but can look amazing.
Mike Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Mike, that sound interesting....Never seen that before. Any blogs / video tutorials online of that?
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Ask and you shall receive!

Here is a good one:

And here is one that isn't so much as a guide, but shows a similar technique combined with motion tracking:

YouTube - VFX Shot 1 - Building Matte Painting

MC
Mike Chalmers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion