YouTube Editor's new stabilizer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Major Player

YouTube Editor's new stabilizer

Of course no one on this forum would ever shoot a shaky clip outside a war zone. But for those of us who know someone who might, there's YouTube's new editing feature, the stabilizer. I posted recently about the Kodak Zi8. Since then I bought one and took it for a walk last weekend. I uploaded a couple of the resulting clips and ran them through the stabilizer. I'm impressed. If you're curious I've posted links in a blog posting:

NetVideoMaker.Com: Amateur Videographers Rejoice - YouTube now fixes shaky footage

The next exercise is to determine if I can download and use the resulting clips in editing. Premiere Pro CS3 will natively work with the QT h.264, AAC clips the camera creates (I've been shooting 720p exclusively with the Zi8) but I need to play a bit more to determine if the new YouTube tool is useful beyond its own environment.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: YouTube Editor's new stabilizer

Maybe it's just the footage used in the example, but the stabilized footage looks "off" to me somehow. Like panning through a Google street video or something, it's like a 2D image that's had some 3D camera movement applied to it.

Anyone else have examples of this new YouTube stabilizer?
Shawn Altorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Shawn, I ran two clips through the stabilizer yesterday. The other before and after is below. I'd be interested in whether or not you see it the same way. In this there are people moving about versus the skyline shot.

YouTube - Toronto's St. Lawrence Market

YouTube - Toronto's St Lawrence Market

David
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #4
New Boot

Nope, that looks better. I think it was just the perspective of the original skyline videos that was throwing me off.

Pretty cool.
Shawn Altorio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion