Cutting HD and DV together at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cutting HD and DV together

Has anyone used HD and high end DV in the same film? Was the difference very noticeable? Due to a very tight budget on our next production I was thinking of purchasing something like a Sony DSR 450 or Ikegami HL-V77W as our main camera because there are some amazing bargains available now with the advent of HD. We want to give our guest film makers the feel of a pro shoulder mount ENG style camera, but without spending a fortune. If I could I would prefer to buy something like the new Sony PMW F series of HD camera but we just don't have the money. My colleagues want to use a couple of small prosumer Sony HD cameras for cutaways, etc, on the production, hence my question. Our film is unlikely to be broadcast, but will appear on Youtube and Vimeo.

Cheers
Simon
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Cutting HD and DV together

If the shoulder-mount form factor is important, there are lots of cheaper alternatives and you could still shoot all in HD. One option is the Sony MC2000, which, while not top of the line for HD, is, at its worst, many times better than the best DV. The MC2000 has the same chip as the cx350v. They would cut together seamlessly and would all be 1920 x 1080 HD.

I would not cut DV and HD together, if only because the DV isn't widescreen (and on most DV cams, if you do fake widescreen it looks even worse).
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

the DSR450 can shoot native widescreen, is a 2/3 inch camera and produces an absolutlety stunning image. It's too bad that when Sony came out with it to replace another fantastic camera (the 500,570 series) that HD/HDV was right behind it at the prosumer level so the camera didn't get the attention it deserved.
Frankly I think I'd rather use the 450 to cut with than the 2000, 3-2/3inch chips, vs 1 1/4inch and while I know and understand the CMOS, big image etc, I personally would shoot the whole thing on the DSR450 especially since it's strictly for web showing.

Of course please keep in mind these comments come from a tried and true, diehard Sony guy who had the pleasure of using a 450 for quite a time. (along with almost every other Sony DSR model made-had to love 'em)
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Trustee

On the internet at 720p the differences are not that pronounced visually, assuming you shot your DV at the highest quality possible with the same production values.
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Many thanks Adam, Don and Sareesh for the very helpful information. I agree with you Don, I'd be very happy using the DSR 450 for the whole shoot, if only the other two cameras (owned by colleagues) were not HD. The DSR range always looked very robust and full of quality and there are some pretty good bargains around at present.

Cheers
Simon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion