Preparing video file for TV broadcast. 720x576 16:9 problems. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Tourist

Preparing video file for TV broadcast. 720x576 16:9 problems.

I have to submit a video in 720x576 .mov DV format for a UK Sky Digital TV music channel. But my video was shot in 16:9. Do I supply footage which appears squashed on my PC monitor for broadcast, and does the TV receiver stretch the image horizontally?

Thanks Ben

Last edited by Ben Parcell; April 17th, 2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added region.
Ben Parcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Preparing video file for TV broadcast. 720x576 16:9 problems.

I would ask them for a delivery spec to be sure but squeeze (anamorphic) is the normal delivery mode for SD 16x9.
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Tourist

that makes sense, thanks Gary. It was something that I couldn't find myself on google.
Ben Parcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

Actually, you shouldn't have to do anything. 720x576 is the resolution on both 4:3 and 16:9 formats. The only difference is the aspect ratio of the display device that the video is being fed through to.

It's only when converting for those dumb ol' square pixel displays (such as a computer monitor) that things get interesting. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Trustee

Oh that it was that simple.

I'm not sure about broadcast in the UK, but here in the US, the system of distribution is still kind of a mess.

The last time I delivered spots for broadcast, I took the time to prepare BOTH HD (full frame) and SD (Letterbox) versions for various stations. Then the client called and said he'd seen the spots run "center punched" on an SD outlet (the right and left sides had been hacked off at the station. We investigated, and sure enough, we discovered that when a local network affiliate sends their HD signal to their SD cable outlet, it's ALWAYS center-punched. No recourse, no way to stop it or prepare an alternate. It's just a control room pass-through with the new matte knocking out the sides.

So I hope your system works differently. Personally I'm going to pay a LOT more attention to the 4:3 protection grid on my next shoot. It SUCKS watching your well planned visual compositions get mangled in playback.

FWIW.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion