New Job, New Equipment - Basketball Coaching DVDs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: New Job, New Equipment - Basketball Coaching DVDs

I suppose I didn't mention this, but I'd like to avoid tape if possible. SD or HDD would be ideal, even if cost is a little higher.
Evan Heckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Sorry - duplicate post
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Here's the shopping list I would recommend if this were me. I happen to be a Sony guy but other brands are fine -- I just happen to know the Sony lineup best. I currently own 11 Sony HDV/AVCHD cams, and have bought and sold another dozen or so. My current lineup includes my four beloved Z5Us, which are miraculous for theatre, down to a pair of xr520vs, the most brilliant little consumer cam I've ever owned.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748433-REG/Sony_HDR_CX700V_HDR_CX700V_HD_Flash_Memory.htmlx 2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/243272-REG/Davis_Sanford_PROVISTA7518B_Provista_7518_Tripod_w_FM18.htmlx2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631498-REG/Manfrotto_521ILANCAV_521ILANCAV_Remote_and_Adapter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553684-REG/Sony_UWP_V1_4244_UWP_V1_Wireless_Lavalier_Microphone.html

You don't even need the XLR adapter. Total cost: under $3600. You could save even more by eliminating the wireless system and just sticking a Zoom H1 on the coach and syncing in post. And you could save still more by going with a refurbished cx550v, which is pretty much the same cam as the 700, minus a few features, at https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...52921666073233

Sure, there are more features on an NX5 or an Xh-A1, but I don't think you really need them. You are not creating great art here; what you need is a sharp, clear, properly exposed picture for people to analyze and learn from. I mean, really, do you want to spend your time screwing with Black Stretch and Knee Point and CineGamma and PsF settings and paper-thin DoF? The only thing you'll likely need to set manually is White Balance, but you can let the cam take care of the rest, and you're off to the races.

I'd recommend you place the cams like the pros do: Both up in the stands, with one wide and one zoomed in on the ball. On the floor you'll just get the backs of a lot of players and won't likely see the ball very much. [Yet another edit: I assumed you were shooting actual games. For demos and instructional, of course one or both cams close up on the floor will likely be fine.]

Final note: as it seems both Jim and I have revised our prior posts extensively, you might want to go back through the thread for additional info and clarification on otherwise obfuscatory advice.

Despite what someone said in another thread, now is a great time to be buying video gear. Never has there been so much choice, with so many great features, for so little money.

Last edited by Adam Gold; April 19th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Although I'd be more than happy to add more obfuscatory advice if requested - after a lot of years in sales & marketing, I have notebooks full of terminology that even confuses ME!

(I still don't like CMOS, but that's mostly just me being cranky!)
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Final note: as it seems both Jim and I have revised our prior posts extensively, you might want to go back through the thread for additional info and clarification on otherwise obfuscatory advice.

Despite what someone said in another thread, now is a great time to be buying video gear. Never has there been so much choice, with so many great features, for so little money.
Adam,

Thank you for your time on this - it's been hugely valuable!

As far as the ~$1000 prosumer level cameras, are you sold out to the Sony's as the best option? I've heard great things about the Panasonic HDC-HS700k, but I suppose I should defer to your expertise on what would be best?
Evan Heckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, as I said, I just happen to know the Sony cams the best. I'd never say that one brand is always better than another. Anyone here will only really be able to recommend to you the gear they know and use. If the Panny looks better to you, you should go for it. For me, as I'm used to the way Sonys "think" (and I use that term loosely), that's what I'd go for, but your mileage may vary, as they say. They work for me, but I'd never assume they are necessarily best for anyone else. The only thing I will say about the Panny is that from the specs it appears to have sensors (and yes, there are three of them) that are slightly smaller than 1/4", while the Sony has a single sensor that is slightly larger than 1/3". For me the added low light performance of the larger chip would be a significant factor.

I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the choices out there. I'm actually very tempted to add a couple of the refurbed 550s I linked to, just to add to my collection....

And by the way, I have nothing against expensive camcorders. I'm actually contemplating adding an EX3 to the toolbox and for me that's a pretty expensive piece of gear. I just don't like people to spend more than they have to for what they need.

Last edited by Adam Gold; April 20th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #22
New Boot

What cost-effective wireless mic would work with the Panasonic HS700k? I'm open to recommendations! I think we'll end up trying the Panasonic for our next shoot and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Evan Heckert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion