DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   USB 3.0 Transfer test times - the waiting is over (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/494911-usb-3-0-transfer-test-times-waiting-over.html)

Bruce Schultz April 21st, 2011 06:36 PM

USB 3.0 Transfer test times - the waiting is over

I received the Delkin CF USB 3.0 reader today. Mating it to a Buffalo USB 3.0 drive via a Buffalo USB 3.0 Dual Input Expresscard unit, here are some preliminary results;

13GB Delkin CF card write speeds to Buffalo USB 3.0 Hard Drive via Buffalo USB 3.0 ExpressCard

USB 2.0 = 14 minutes
USB 3.0 = 4.5 minutes

A fully recorded Nano Flash media 64GB Delkin CF card;

USB 3.0 = 19.5 minutes
USB 2.0 = 53 minutes

These tests were run on two different PC's with 1.5GHz Dual Core Intel chips - one was an Atom powered notebook (Lenovo), the other a full sized Fujitsu laptop - both running Windows 7 Ultimate, and the copy times were pretty much the same within 1/2 minute.

This system does not work with Mac due to no driver support from Buffalo, however, I am awaiting a CalDigit USB 3.0 ExpressCard to use on my MBPro, arriving sometime next week which has OS X drivers written by CalDigit for Mac.

I'll post those test results when I have them, but for now it finally looks like I can download a full card while I wrap and leave the set on time.

links to items;
Amazon.com: Buffalo Technology DriveStation SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ExpressCard 2-Port Adapter Card IFC-EC2U3/UC: Electronics Amazon.com: Buffalo Technology MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive HD-PCT500U3/B (Black): Electronics USB 3.0 Universal Memory Card Reader
Caldigit---CalDigit SuperSpeed Expresscard for laptop

Pete Bauer April 21st, 2011 06:54 PM

Re: USB 3.0 Transfer test times - the waiting is over

Thank you, Bruce. I'll be buying a USB 3 CF Card reader forthwith!

Bruce Schultz April 21st, 2011 07:04 PM

Pete, I'm not sure I made it clear enough though that the entire transfer system has to be USB 3.0 to work at these high transfer rates.

When I did tests with just the drive enabled in USB 3.0 mode and a USB 2.0 CF card reader the results were essentially USB 2.0 times.

So that's
1. USB 3.0 Expresscard reader with dual inputs/outputs
1. USB 3.0 Hard Drive
1. USB 3.0 CF card reader.

Sorry if this is obvious.

Billy Steinberg April 21st, 2011 07:24 PM

Bruce,

That's great news! I just ordered one (Delkin USB3 reader) today, and should have it the beginning of next week. I'll report my transfer speeds once I get it.

I have a MacPro (the original 1,1 model) with a CalDigit PCI USB3 card installed. One of its two USB3 ports is connected to an Areca 5040 8 bay raid array, which has been working 100% for me since December. I'll hook up the Delkin USB3 reader to the currently unused second USB3 port on the CalDigit card.

Note that when you get your CalDigit card there is a new driver available on the CalDigit web site, which you should download and install rather than the one that comes on the included CD. The new driver, released yesterday, supports both their PCI card and their Express Card. (It's version 1.2.6 and it even includes a version for the MBPros just released with Thunderbolt).

My current transfer speeds using the USB2 port on the front of my MacPro, and the little CF->USB2 adapter that comes with the Nano are a bit faster than your setup. It only takes 35 minutes to transfer a completely full Transcend 64GB card to my Mac.

Billy

ps Here is the link for the CalDigit USB3 driver download page.

Bruce Schultz April 22nd, 2011 11:22 AM

Thanks for that Caldigit mac driver info and the link.

My times were probably slower because the laptops I used were not even 2.0+GHz CPU models. I'm sure the MBP with the Caldigit expresscard will be faster still, but the time ratios should stay about the same - roughly 2/3 times faster with USB 3.

Galen Rath April 22nd, 2011 01:07 PM

FYI, don't ever update the MAC OS with a new version until Caldigit has had time to review their drivers (which could take quite a while). You could lose access to your USB 3.0 devices if there is a compatibility issue.

Barry J. Weckesser April 22nd, 2011 01:17 PM

Bruce - Just wanted to get this straight. I have a Sony Vaio laptop - VGN-AW290 with an Expresscard slot (that works very well with an Expresscard E-SATA adaptor that I use with a G-Tech mini-RAID hard drive) for downloads in the field. I also have an extra 750 GB drive inside the laptop (in addition to the system drive). Can I use the USB 3.0 Universal Memory Card Reader and attach that with a USB 3.0 cable to a CalDigit SuperSpeed Expresscard for laptop and be able to download at fairly high speed into my laptop's extra internal hard drive?

On my editing workstation (Dell XPS 9000- i7 xtreme 980 w/12GB RAM and 64-bit OS), if I were to install Buffalo Technology DriveStation SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ExpressCard 2-Port Adapter Card and then attach the USB 3.0 Universal Memory Card Reader , should it then be possible to download into my internal video RAID 0 drive (4 TB)? When you mention "USB 3.0 hard drives", I assume you are referring to external drives (portable or otherwise) that are set up with a USB 3.0 interface. This sounds obvious but just want to make sure I am not overlooking something.