DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What is a DVPro - Digital Tape Camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/495115-what-dvpro-digital-tape-camera.html)

Graeme Hay April 26th, 2011 06:18 PM

What is a DVPro - Digital Tape Camera?

I'm looking to take a course entitled "Single Camera Operation" for learning how to proper ally use a Pro video camera before I go out and spend a few (maybe 10) grand on a camera... (Moving from DSLR which is good for only about 50% of my shots).

I asked the instructor what kind of gear we would using and a course outline. Everything they said sounded pretty good except:

"and DVPro - digital tape camera."

To which I'm like huh? As I've looked and can not find information on what a DVPro is... It doesn't appear to be a camera name, nor a format (I've heard of DV tape before or HDV).

Thoughts?

I have sent a reply but I may not get an answer before the sign-up deadline...

Adam Gold April 26th, 2011 06:32 PM

Re: What is a DVPro - Digital Tape Camera?

Maybe he meant DVCPro. Probably a typo.

The DV, DVCAM, & DVCPRO Formats -- tech details, FAQ, and links.

Or maybe he's just an idiot.

Graeme Hay April 26th, 2011 07:14 PM

Thanks Adam, link was very informative.

I'm going to assume it was a typo and she was talking about DVCPro, rather than the latter option.

Chris Hurd April 26th, 2011 07:41 PM

Try to find out if it's DVCPro or DVCPro HD -- in other words, standard definition or high definition.

Graeme Hay April 26th, 2011 09:58 PM

I'll see what the reply / clarification is but I highly doubt they would of left out the "HD" part along with the C. So I would say its safe to assume its not HD (which is a bit of a bummer that the equipment seems so out of date while still being top of the line at some point).

Graeme Hay April 27th, 2011 02:40 PM

Poop, course was cancelled.

Jeff Anselmo April 27th, 2011 05:39 PM

Hi Graeme,

Bit off the subject of your original post, but if you're coming from a photog background, you're well on your way to being able to operate a "pro camera", as the language is mostly the same. We all need to frame, expose, color balance, etc. all our shots! (The biggest difference obviously is capturing audio.) If you're coming from an HDSLR and wanting an ENG-style camera (like what most news folks use), then weight and ergonomics will be some of your primary issues.

Depending on what type of video camera you're going to buy with your budget (10K!?! Whew, I'm jealous. Wish I had that when I first started out :) maybe you can first rent one out and play around with it for a few days.

Best,

Graeme Hay April 27th, 2011 07:21 PM

Currently I'm very impressed with the Red Scarlet fixed lens (i know its talk) and its likely well within my budget (estimated at 6-7k) so I'm leaning towards that. But I haven't really look at other non-DSLR options (because of the cost/DOF and I have a bunch of Nikon lenses. So I was hoping this course would fill in the gaps as to how one professionally use a camera and results there of.

As for sound I was helping with sound on a friends shoot (brought my own equipment) two weekends ago. But the other reason for the course was to mingle with other people starting up in videographer (as I'm finding out that those already stationed as season indie filmmakers scene don't want /appreciate help of a newcomer here in Ottawa).