Boris vs. After Effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Boris vs. After Effects

Well, since NAB didn't produce any new cameras, I am looking into getting new software. I use Vegas and want to bump up the effects I do, especially the crappy text ability Vegas has.

So Boris vs After Effects. All comments are welcome.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Boris vs. After Effects

I use Boris Graffiti for titling and it works great. I use a lot of the templets but you can alo create you own tiltes. I use most of the basic applications but the prgram ssems to be pretty powerful.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, they both have a definite learning curve. I use Boris Red 3 (titling, some comps) as a standalone with Sony Vegas as my NLE of choice. Some of the filters (lightzoom rays, etc) are very nice and can add some nice punch when used selectively. I have never gotten some of the titling functions (materials, for example), to work. Admittedly, I haven't taken the necessary time to learn it's full capabilities; BUT: If I were learning just one program from scratch, I'd probably choose AE,not just because of it's industry footprint, but also because of it's plug-ins.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would go with AE.

It goes way beyond titles. Provides motion tracking and more. It has lots of plug-ins and there are lots of third party plug-ins as well.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Dean,

Since I'm currently being beat over the head with Sony Vegas, I can get the complete CS5 Production Suite which has AE in it.
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I certainly agree with the above. One more point, the kind of thing I've had to think about a lot in recent projects - if you invest your time & money in AE, if/when you get a little overwhelmed with work you're likely to be able to find someone who can help, and they'll be on the same software.

I'm involved in a project right now where we're in a less-common software (not motion graphics), and I'm sure wishing we'd thought about this issue about 8 mos. ago, because we just lost a key contributor, and there's nobody on the bench to go to.
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

When I phoned Sony today, and told them that I was thinking of buying CS5 Production suite, the guy started telling me how crappy Adobe support was. To which I responded, and you're going to charge me too aren't you?
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Just a thought,

You could buy the slightly older after effects instead of the whole suite!!! I still have and use 6.5 Pro, though I virtually never use it for making titles.
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Just a thought,

You could buy the slightly older after effects instead of the whole suite!!! I still have and use 6.5 Pro, though I virtually never use it for making titles.
I can't begin to stress how much of a difference CS5 and now CS5.5 makes versus prior versions due to 64bit. And once you see the new Warp Stabilizer in 5.5, you will want AE sooo badly. I literally was about to buy a Kessler Slider but the Warp Stabilizer negates my need for the slider - its that AMAZING!

Also, there is quite a bit of work available to AE artists so becoming an avid AE user can greatly expand your opportunities.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I bought 6.5 "used" from Amazon a couple of years back and then upgraded to newer versions - much cheaper than starting with a full price version. Worked fine. I use the Adobe Design Premium (ie no P-Pro) and then just upgrade AE separately if/when I feel the need.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Just a thought,

Interesting Dale, I'm still researching AE and how much it can do with titles. I once saw a video on Digital Juice and it had handwriting text and I emailed them and asked them how they did it and they told me they used AE.
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #12
Trustee

After Effects. It is what others look to as a standard in comping, motion graphics, grading, and finishing.
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM   #13
Inner Circle

some time back I was reading and a professional colorista stated that every major movie goes through after effects, that about says it all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion