DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Freelance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/496044-freelance.html)

Dror Levi May 17th, 2011 02:58 PM

Freelance?

Hi there,
I hope it is the right place to post this one.

I am in the event field and mostly shooting weddings.
I would like to be more versatile and shoot some other things rather then events.
I am really comfortable with my professional ability and really want to do more then just shooting events.
I am not sure what are my options and how to go about it.
I would love to get some information on this topic.
Thanks in advance

Kevin McRoberts May 17th, 2011 04:37 PM

Re: Freelance?

1. Watch gig listings on places like Craigslist, Mandy.com, Media Match, etc.
2. Find jobs you think you can do, and offer to do them for an appropriate fee.
4. Profit

Chris Medico May 17th, 2011 04:44 PM

See if you can get to know some of the other freelancers in your area. Do some networking. It can be a pretty closed group so don't give up if you meet resistance at first.

These guys sometimes have a need for crew on short notice and may give you a shot.

Be sure to have plenty of patience. Freelance is a fickle thing.

Michael Kinney May 17th, 2011 08:40 PM

Mr. McRoberts had some great advice. Join your local Chamber of Commerce. They usually have some great networking functions. Print up a boatload of business cards. Where are you located?

Michael Kinney May 17th, 2011 08:41 PM

My apologies...I see you're in Miami.

Dror Levi May 18th, 2011 09:42 PM

Thank you guys.

Wayne Reimer May 18th, 2011 10:29 PM

In addition to all the excellent advice you've already gotten, I'd add that to successfully branch out into other types and styles of shooting, you need to become intimately familiar with your specific market needs, figure out how well it's being currently serviced ( or not), determine if there is a "hole" in the market that you can (and want) to fill, and then go after it.
I find it really interesting talking to other freelance shooters and listening to some complain how there is "no work", yet often minimal investigation reveals that there's lots of work available, they're just either not really looking for it, or they're looking in the wrong place.
The yellow pages is a great place to start the weeding out process. You can establish levels of market servicing pretty easily by checking the listings. Then list out what you really enjoy shooting, or think you would, and start comparing. Some phone calls to other shooters can speakk volumes about who's looking for what.
There is generally work around pretty much anywhere; the trick is finding the niche that is unfulfilled