Advice On Shooting A Music or Promotional Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Trustee

Advice On Shooting A Music or Promotional Video

My ex-brother-in-law asked if I would shoot either a 4-5 min music video or a 2 minute promotional video for his country/modern rock band. I have not produced a music video; so, I came here to seek advice on how people approach the planning and the production of a music video.

His band is deciding on which song they want to use, which is written by one of the members. I plan on listening to the song to get ideas and to determine what and how many locations to use. Because I am offering to produce this for little money, I am thinking of using only 2 locations. I would probably use one indoors and one outdoors because I don't have enough grip and lighting equipment (flags, scrims, reflectors, HMI's, etc) for shooting in direct sunlight. In addition, I won't be renting anything unless I take it out of my pay.

I will be using my EX3 with nanoFlash and my EX1 for a 2nd angle. I have several Kino's and a few LED fresnels (SolaENG's and Dedo). If I absolutely need something else, I could beg and borrow from someone for a day (they let me use an Arri 4 light kit for a few days and gave me a couple small pieces of Zacuto gear that were not being used). Could I borrow an F3 - maybe, but I doubt it.

If I could rent something, I would rent the FS100 for $336 for 4 days and use Sony Alpha lenses - Zeiss 24-70/2.8, Zeiss 16-35/2.8 and Sony G 70-200/2.8 or Zeiss 85/1.4 or Zeiss 135/1.8. However, I could use advice on whether I should use primes or zooms. I was thinking that zooms would help make things go quicker since I don't have many extra helping hands. And I would rent Heliopan vari-ND filters.

Would a 24-70 and a 70-200 be enough? The Sony G & Sony Zeiss lenses each cost roughly $60 for 4 days.

Or would it be better to rent a 30" Glidetrack Slider and a Kessler KC Light crane and/or Indie-Dolly track? The slider is $37 for 4 days; the Kessler crane is $78 and the Indie-Dolly track is $82 and with shipping, their total is $360. Or just the crane and slider for $184 shipped.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Advice On Shooting A Music or Promotional Video

As soon as you mentioned "ex-brother-in- law," I immediately thought "low budget." But from your list of equipment and what you envision, I see "much higher budget." First off, are you both on the same page, budget-wise? Your idea of "little money" may be totally different from what he thinks.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Advice On Shooting A Music or Promotional Video

Well, I told him what the absolute minimum is for me to produce a music video and that would entail one location with EVERYTHING planned including a storyboard so it takes me as little time as possible to shoot, edit and grade/finish. With the 'bare' minimum, I would not rent anything. My reason for considering this is that he and his band know many other bands so future business is possible. Also, they are playing at Country Thunder in July which is a big concert/festival for country music and this video would be projected on a large screen. Also, I would include my company's name & info at the beginning and end of the video. In addition, I would require that my info be placed on all of their websites including individual facebook pages and their band websites.

If it matters, he has a friend who owns a large audio equipment company; so, we can use anything from his store for the shoot.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion