Gun fire flash - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 27th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Gun fire flash

Airsoft is the easiest way to go as they are non lethal toys that can look quite convincing as they are scale replicas of the real weapons - they fire plastic bb's. Obviously you want to make sure that there are no bb's on set though, as they can hurt (and can be dangerous if shot in the eye/face).

Some airsoft toys have blowback effects (so the pistol slides, or the machine guns bolt moves), which can look very realistic when you add in some flashes later on in post. There is a program called FXHome which allows you to use hundreds of weapon flashes (along with various simple masking tools) - very easy to use and not expensive.

The only part that is missing is the ejected brass casings (again these can be done in post), or use your imagination in editing, or use a shaky cam technique, or even just filming a closeup of someone throwing some empty brass casings on the ground intercut with the rest of the scene can work.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Airsoft are still FAR from safe as internal components CAN get rattled loose and become projectiles.

I stand by my initial statement.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Shaun, I agree that armorers ought to be used when any weapons are on set, but in truth airsoft replicas are toys, and can be bought over the counter in regular shops without any sort of license.

The velocity of the projectiles is quite slow, and even in the unlikely event that any loose parts that might somehow rattle into the barrel I doubt that there would be enough velocity to shoot it any great distance. Airsoft toys are more likely to jam when anything gets into the barrel.

That said you should use some care when using them; creative editing would allow you to never actually fire an airsoft toy in the direction of any actor (and here the basic rules of firearms would come into play).

Common sense goes a long way. With any number of heavy lights, electrical cables etc, there are a great number of more lethal objects on a film set than airsoft toys.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
That said you should use some care when using them; creative editing would allow you to never actually fire an airsoft toy in the direction of any actor (and here the basic rules of firearms would come into play).
ABSOLUTELY! Couldn't agree more.

My only problem is first time/new directors STILL seem to think you need to point anything gun-like DIRECTLY at people to "sell" it onscreen.

And who is going to impart the basic rules of firearms to all involved on set?

I don't DISAGREE with you... I just see where this ALL falls apart and someone gets hurt. JUST to make a "realistic" indie film.

LOUSY payoff...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion