DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   BBC - The Camera That Changed The World (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/498903-bbc-camera-changed-world.html)

Andy Wilkinson July 26th, 2011 04:17 PM

BBC - The Camera That Changed The World

For those of you who can access the BBC iPlayer I recommend watching this facinating 1 hour programme while its available.

BBC iPlayer - Camera That Changed the World

To quote:

"The summer of 1960 was a critical moment in the history of film, when the fly-on-the-wall documentary was born. The Camera that Changed the World tells the story of the filmmakers and ingenious engineers who led this revolution by building the first hand-held cameras that followed real life as it happened. By amazing co-incidence, there were two separate groups of them - one on each side of the Atlantic.

In the US, the pioneers used their new camera to make Primary, a compelling portrait of American politics. They followed a then little known John F Kennedy as he began his long campaign for the presidency. Meanwhile, in France, another new camera was inspiring an influential experiment in documentary filmmaking. Chronique d'un Ete captures the real lives of ordinary Parisians across the summer of 1960. Both these extraordinary films smashed existing conventions as handheld cameras followed the action across public spheres into intimate and previously hidden worlds. In The Camera that Changed the World this remarkable story is told by the pioneers themselves, some of whom, such as DA Pennebaker and Al Maysles are now filmmaking legends. Back in 1960, they were determined young revolutionaries."

Brian Drysdale July 26th, 2011 04:40 PM

Re: BBC - The Camera That Changed The World

Yes, well worth watching. The films still have an edgy quality that beats the pretence of the wobbly cam "reality" television.

Les Wilson July 26th, 2011 05:22 PM

The player reports "Not available in your area"

Justin Molush July 26th, 2011 09:52 PM

Same here, Im guessing USA is blacked out.

Chris Soucy July 26th, 2011 10:29 PM

For sale/ distributon right reasons, the player is not available outside the UK and Northern Ireland, can't be specific about Ireland itself.

Hopefully a network in your area will buy it eventually and put it on as a "special".

Can't see it happening here, mores the pity, if it ain't a brain dead reality show, forget it!

CS

Brian Drysdale July 27th, 2011 12:08 AM

It's part of a season of docs that BBC4 is doing on the documentary film.

I'd e-mail or write to BBC America and apply some pressure on them to screen it.

Ian Stark July 27th, 2011 02:12 AM

You could try using a proxy to spoof iPlayer into thinking it's in the UK. I use a similar facility that let's me watch content that is only for distribution in the USA. Google it, you should find something that works.

Brian Drysdale July 27th, 2011 06:17 AM

Expat Shield has been suggested by one overseas Brit.

Seymour Clufley July 27th, 2011 09:08 AM

I read that the iPlayer is going to be made available worldwide pretty soon.

Justin Molush July 27th, 2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1670418)
You could try using a proxy to spoof iPlayer into thinking it's in the UK. I use a similar facility that let's me watch content that is only for distribution in the USA. Google it, you should find something that works.

I tried 2 proxies before I gave up, it had issues with loading the video both times. If you happen to find one that would be appreciated, but I gave up already after two...

Ian Stark July 27th, 2011 09:39 AM

Re iPlayer going worldwide, you're right: BBC iPlayer global launch to begin in western Europe | Media | guardian.co.uk . No date or pricing set for US yet though.

Re proxies, yeah I wouldn't waste time with the free ones. Here's one that's aimed for people outside the UK wanting to look like they are in the UK: UK Proxy Server