DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Online Video Platforms....what do you use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/500759-online-video-platforms-what-do-you-use.html)

Neil Rostance September 16th, 2011 07:19 AM

Online Video Platforms....what do you use?

Hi Guys,

I've been a Sorenson 360 customer for over a year now, but I'm keen to jump ship.

What do you guys use for video delivery? For example, sending preview edits to clients and for hosting videos for clients to use on their website.

I've heard of facilities like Brightcove, Kaltura and Buto.tv and the very recent Vimeo Pro...can anyone recommend a good solution?

As an Adobe Production Suite user too, is there a facility that can be published to directly from Adobe Media Encoder?

Thanks,

Neil

Robin Davies-Rollinson September 16th, 2011 10:26 AM

Re: Online Video Platforms....what do you use?

Neil,
I'm very pleased with Vimeo Pro and use it for hosting as well as to provide clients with an update of "work in progress" on their videos

Jon Fairhurst September 16th, 2011 10:51 AM

A Vimeo Plus account will do. You just post a video to your account and give that video a unique password. The video will be hidden from general users. Just send the url and password to your client. You can also enable downloads, so they can get their own local copy as well as view it on the site.

The higher priority, higher limits, and ability to embed HD video are all nice, but add the password feature for working with clients and it's a very high value purchase.

FWIW, my son did some editing and color correction for a client who was having computer/connection problems. The client went to the local Apple store and was able to review the video there. A nice advantage was that the large Apple monitor had much better quality than the client's small, inexpensive, uncalibrated LCD. So don't send the password directly to the client. Send it to their local Apple store representative. ;)

Seth Bloombaum September 16th, 2011 10:57 AM

I use several online video platforms on a regular basis.

But, for client reviews, I use Vimeo Plus, and refer others to it. For a quick password-protected video for client review it's perfect and very straightforward. There's also a bulk uploader that I've used - I think I got 90 short clips up in an hour or two, without a lot of clicking.

I was using it before I got a bundled Sorenson360 subscription with purchase of Squeeze. I've never even set up 360... Vimeo Plus had all I needed.

I don't think there is a "publish out of AME", but there could be as Vimeo's bulk uploader is built on Adobe AIR.

Vimeo has a new offering, "Pro", that is a commercial hosting platform. I researched it, it looks great, and really fantastic for the price. (I didn't go for it because one of my primary clients is Silverlight-only, which Vimeo doesn't support. This is a pretty uncommon need.) I think Pro is a really good and cost-effective video hosting service.

Neil Rostance October 5th, 2011 02:19 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies, that's really useful. I have not been back here since I wrote the post so apologies for lack of response!!

Vimeo+ and Vimeo Pro look really great. I've read of some new features on Sorenson 360 that i'm keen to check out but that's all very useful as a plan B.

Thanks again.

Neil

Greg Joyce October 5th, 2011 06:51 AM

I agree with what the others have said about Vimeo Plus for client review: Easy, excellent, inexpensive.