less wear 1394 and composite connectors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

less wear 1394 and composite connectors

I was just wondering for those of you who use a cheaper mini dv camcorder for pass through, to digitilize analog video, do you usually leave the firewire and the audio/video cables plugged in all the time?
I am thinking probably so, for less wear and tear of unplugging and plugging in the 1394 jack and composite jacks. I usually like to put my cam in its cam bag after use , so dust doesn't settle on the cam. I suppose leaving it plugged in and covering it with something to keep dust out would be okay.
What do you think?
Old August 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Guess it depends on how fragile the connectors look to you on an inexpensive camera. I've been plugging and unplugging my VX-2000 for 4 years without problems.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I guess it probably doesn't matter then.
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Just to add my 2 cents...

My major fear is plugging in a firewire cable backwards on the port itself on the computer.

There are some firewire ports on computers that are recessed[which are safer in my opinion] and some with the metal shroud connectors extruded, which from my experience,that with very little force can accept the firewire cable backwards.

The shape of the cable is indexed and monkey proof...but when one is reaching behind the computer and plugging in a cable...watch out!

I usually leave the cable connected to the Mac itself and only have the small 4 pin dangling so I can just plug in the smaller end into the camera itself.

Seems like common sense but boy..
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have my firewire always dangling from my computer. I never worry about damage plugging the cable into the camera. I am afraid of plugging or unplugging the cable in while my camera is turned on. I have done this before but read that it has the possibility of blowing the firewire connection to the camera!
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I too have my firewire always hooked to my pc, but not the other end connected. I suppose if it is always plugged in and as long as when I start my pc the cam is not on, no harm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion