Titanic 100 year anniversary. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Titanic 100 year anniversary.

Does anyone know what 'celebrations' there might be for the 100yr anniversary of the Titanic next year?

Yes I know you wouldn't *celebrate* the most famous or the greatest maritime disaster of the time, but since visiting the port where the Titanic sailed from I've become interested in the great ship and its short life.

I've read about the celebrations for the launching this year and there's a series running on Fox called 'Rebuilding the Titanic' This has only fuelled my interest, I was going to say 'sparked' but fear of an explosion.

There's a few folk from Ireland here, I wondered does anyone know of anything. Thanks.

Cheers.
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Titanic 100 year anniversary.

Alan,

There's a fair bit of noise in Belfast about this, lots of media coverage, Titanic tours (round the docks etc.). Some of my family even went on a culinary tour of Belfast, complete with "chef from the Titanic". It's got huge tourist/historical potential.

There's a huge development area around the harbour, called the Titanic Quarter, with development opportunities such as the usual commercial buildings, but also plans for museums, visitor attractions etc:

Lots of BBC NI coverage here: BBC - Search results for titanic
(Videos probably not available outside the UK).

The official website: Welcome to Titanic Quarter

My personal involvement is limited to having to move locations one Sunday morning when the Titanic Bus Tour kiosk opened up and turned the music on (Queen, of all things) just as I was about to video a steam train crossing the harbour bridge!

And seeing as I live here, at some point I am obliged to say: The Titanic was perfectly OK when it left Belfast!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Would you believe they're re-releasing a movie about the Titanic. In 3D? :-)

'Titanic' 3D Gets Release Date - The Hollywood Reporter

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I heard they were going to raise it, rebuild it and re-create the sailing of it including the iceberg. While I love cruises and generally do 1 or 2 a year, I think I'll pass on that one!
(please be aware of my sarcarstic, cynical sense of humor--they need to leave the thing alone. It the final resting place of 1500+ people. They need to stop doing the dives to it as I had heard that the dives move a bunch of stuff around and make the remaining parts deteriorate even faster)

O|O
\--/
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

April 15, is the 100 year anniversary, the liner hit the iceberg very late on the 14th and 2 1/2 hrs later sank on the 15th.

I saw several memorial cruises advertised, at least one which would arrive right over the spot where the wreckage lies .. just as I post this.

Titanic memorial cruise forced to turn round just hours after leaving dock | Mail Online

Hope the BBC cameraman is Ok . While my wife and I didn't book for any cruises, on Fox here there are multiple TV docos about every aspect of the Titanic, its concept, design, construction and the subsequent disaster. So we feel we are kinda taking part in its memorial.

It's amazing what detail, information and theories have surfaced over the last few years. And the stories of life in the early 1900s.

As I get older, these things are making more of an impression on me.

------

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion