DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   GS400 or PDX10?(or other) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/50270-gs400-pdx10-other.html)

Dimitri De Keukelaere August 30th, 2005 05:41 PM

GS400 or PDX10?(or other)

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new camcorder, and I already looked at some (noticably the GL2, DVC 30, VX2100,...) and I think I narrowed my choices down to the Panasonic GS400 and the Sony PDX10

GS400: has frame mode... other pro-features the PDX doesn't have?

PDX10: XLR... other pro features the GS400 doesn't have?

If somebody can help me on this, or give their opinion, it would be a great help.

I have about 1600 euros (not dollars) to spend.

the prime reason that I'm willing to buy a camera is because I'm planning to make a short narrative film.so the direction goes more to that instead of filming birthdays for example

Boyd Ostroff August 30th, 2005 06:04 PM

The CCD's have the exact same specs and are probably identical (although this has never been confirmed). True, no frame mode on the PDX. I haven't used a GS so I can't comment a lot on that. Here are a few PDX advantages which I don't think you'll find on the GS:

1. Part of Sony's pro line which means completely different tech support with faster turnaround times
2. Records in both DVCAM and DV SP modes
3. Hi res black and white viewfinder
4. XLR's and short shotgun (same as PD-150) included
5. Settable timecode
6. 0 and 7.5 IRE setup options, although most people agree the standard 0 IRE should be used.
7. Hour meter showing statistics on runtime, thread, etc
8. Deep lens hood included, works with most WA adaptors (and looks cool ;-)
9. can do USB streaming (Windows only) - have never used this myself.
10. Nice black (dark grey actually) finish

Note that Sony's site indicates that the PAL version has been discontinued so if that's what you want you may need to look around a bit...

Bennis Hahn August 30th, 2005 06:31 PM

Have you thought about renting? It might be cheaper/better for one movie.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 30th, 2005 06:41 PM

It's not only for that one movie, also for different school projects (which are also narrative filmwork) and own films to be made after this 'one' movie. With 'one' movie, he's more referring to the first and most important film he's planning to shoot next year (an end project for school)

btw: I'm answering because I know Dimi, talked about this camera-thing.

Boyd Ostroff August 30th, 2005 06:45 PM

Maybe someone with a GS-400 can answer thes questions because I'm just not sure:

1. Does it support LANC zoom/focus/etc controllers?
2. When filming in 16:9 mode is the image in the viewfinder/LCD in the proper aspect ratio, or is it squashed to fill the full 4:3 screen?

The PDX-10 supports standard LANC controllers and shows a properly proportioned image on the LCD/viewfinder as you record.

Dimitri De Keukelaere August 30th, 2005 06:46 PM

not exactly because I'm planning to make a career out of this:-) and after to long waiting I want my own cam to make and experiment on my own without using a camera that I use from somebody else wich I don't know exactly how it functions. and just the thought of owning my own cam just let's my heart beating faster and faster :-)

for the part of the money that's a problem with pro's and con's. I can't buy a decent semi pro cam like the xl1s or xl2 but for the moment I'm happy with a gs or pdx for at the long end the inside is more important then the outside

Mathieu Ghekiere August 30th, 2005 06:46 PM

Boyd, my nephew has the GS400 and I think the 16/9 appears squashed into the 4/3 screen, but it's native 16/9, it isn't cropped.

Boyd Ostroff August 30th, 2005 07:01 PM

Yes, I know it's native 16:9 - which I've heard is quite good - but I also thought it didn't display in letterboxed mode while filming. Of course you could argue for either approach. Displaying as squashed really shows what's being recorded to tape and it uses the full resolution of the 4:3 viewfinder. For composing a picture it's nice to have it letterboxed on the PDX-10 (which is also real 16:9), but the LCD/viewfinder's effective size is reduced since the black bars above and below the image aren't used.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 31st, 2005 05:24 AM

I'd rather have letterboxed :-)
Awful to make compositions if your picture looks squeezed or cropped.