DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Peaking and older lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/502767-peaking-older-lens.html)

Jeff Troiano November 17th, 2011 07:49 AM

Peaking and older lens

Hi all,

In the process of getting to know my first real "pro" camera. Been playing will all the settings and such. I've made an observation, and wanted to ask if my conclusions are correct. I'm currently using very inexpensive canon fd lenses, until I have the funds for, nicer higher end lens. When using the peaking function (has 3 settings, high, medium, and low. I'm using set on low), I've noticed situations when I have (or feel I have) good focus (on what it is I'm trying to focus on), but there is no peaking indication at all, and other times when there is. With out having a newer, better quality lens to compare it to yet, I'm concluding that this is showing my older lens to be less, sharp at times. I'm wondering if that is correct? This is my first interchangeable lens camera, and am learning a lot, about many different things. I'm a person who isn't so great at being taught things, but rather I need to dig in, and figure things out on my own.

Thanks for your comments,
Jeff

Les Wilson November 17th, 2011 04:15 PM

Re: Peaking and older lens

Try medium or strong peaking. Also, according to this article, the FS100 may see a 4x and 8x Expanded Focus in a firmware update. That will also help in getting critical focus.
http://www.photographybay.com/2011/1...ocus-settings/

Some testing may also help. Shoot something that has some depth and make a record of whether you have peaking indicated then look at the footage and see if was truly in focus an the peaking not indicating or whatever.

Remember, peaking is based on contrast so not everything that's in focus may get peaking indicators.

Frans Meijer November 18th, 2011 01:55 AM

Just about any decent lens for 35 mm stills build in the last 50 years is more then adequately sharp for HD video, your Canon FD are (more then) up to the job.

Peaking is driven by high contrasts and where this is not present in the subject, there'll be no peaking.

Les Wilson November 24th, 2011 05:41 AM

@Jeff, can you update this thread for others who may run into the same thing? Is there a peaking setting that you found useful?

Jeff Troiano November 24th, 2011 08:08 AM

I had been using my camera's peaking setting, on the low setting. It was suggested to me, that I should use the medium setting. I'm getting much better results with this. I've also started using the expanded focus function more. And very soon, there will be a firm ware update, that will allow me to have 4x and 8x expanded focus.

But is seems, every where I've asked, it wasn't necessarily my older lens were soft, that only there wasn't enough contrast at certain times, for the peaking function to work.

Bob Hart November 25th, 2011 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frans Meijer (Post 1697941)
Just about any decent lens for 35 mm stills build in the last 50 years is more then adequately sharp for HD video, your Canon FD are (more then) up to the job.

Peaking is driven by high contrasts and where this is not present in the subject, there'll be no peaking.

I am tempted towards a contrary-opinion regarding older 35mm stills lenses. I know Nikons may not be Canons however sharpness registered by numbers on a SI2K camera 2/3" sensor with the best Nikons I had was just over half of the Super16mm lenses. The 35mm stills lenses were also more sensitive to being out of "sweet spot" aperture settings.

Peaking is a convenient tool with practice for quick or agile work however I still favour using a Siemens chart when I can to set my focus marks in other circumstances but I am a short-sighted cameraman with deteriorating close vision. If the original poster is using a camera with a 35mm sized sensor, then my opinion should be ignored.

Les Wilson November 25th, 2011 06:03 AM

It wasn't stated but the camera the OP is using is the Sony FS-100 which is a super 35 sensor.

Bob Hart November 25th, 2011 08:29 PM

In that event, my comments should slide their way quietly out of the dustpan into the dustbin of history as they are now irrelevent.

Charlton Chars December 5th, 2011 03:43 AM

Try stepping the lens down to f/2 or f/2.8 and see if it shows up. Also try boosting EV compensation a bit (like +0.7). It should show up on sharper edges.