DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Out of focus eye (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/503259-out-focus-eye.html)

Mark Ahrens December 3rd, 2011 06:23 PM

Out of focus eye

When i shoot a football game in the bright sun, i use the EVF and for up to 6 hours afterwards, the vision in my left eye is blurred - pretty badly. Is this an occupational hazard? Is this normal?

I know i'm going to get a bunch of 'shoot with both eyes open' responses . . . but i've tried and i find it difficult to concentrate.

Ken Hull December 3rd, 2011 07:01 PM

Re: Out of focus eye

Problems with your left eye for a while is normal. But 6 hours??? Really?
You might try using an eye patch, rather than squinting the eye close. That way, the muscles around the eye can be relaxed, instead of pressing the eye out of shape.
- Ken

Mark Ahrens December 3rd, 2011 08:34 PM

Well, i stopped shooting at 5. And it's 9:30 now. Still seriously blurry. I see double vision when reading text by the bad eye. Maybe i am squinting hard - never noticed. I'll look for a pirate supply store nearby. Thanks for the tip!

Allan Black December 4th, 2011 12:07 AM

Mark, get checked out asap, you might need glasses. If so get transitional lens (the ones that darken outdoors)

The cost of those is paid for by not needing to continually replace lost or broken sunglasses .. those lens can block out harmful UV rays too.

Also try learning to shoot video with both eyes open, in the viewfinder you can see bad stuff coming into frame. HTH.

Cheers.

Jon Fairhurst December 4th, 2011 02:39 AM

This problem becomes worse with age. Our lenses get harder as we get older. That's why we need reading glasses, the muscles just can't bend the lenses as far as they used to.

When you put pressure on the lens for an extended time, it eventually distorts. And if you are older, it doesn't go back to its normal shape for a while.

Yeah, get an eye exam. It's good to do that regularly anyway. But I would be surprised if it doesn't get back to normal before long.

In the meantime, drink lots of fluids. Water is the body's lubricant.

David W. Jones December 4th, 2011 09:10 AM

This may sound stupid, but try to learn to shoot with booth eyes open.

Allan Black December 8th, 2011 07:26 PM

Yo David, no offence buddy but you might need glasses :)

Happy Xmas Cheers.

Denise Wall December 8th, 2011 08:21 PM

This happens to me too and has for years. It gets worse as you age like others have said. I try to keep both eyes open but don't always manage it. Oddly, I use my left eye for shooting when it's my right eye that's dominant. (I'm left handed mostly.) I wonder if shooting with my non dominant eye makes it harder for me to keep that dominant eye open.