DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Need some creative ideas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/503811-need-some-creative-ideas.html)

Kell Smith December 23rd, 2011 01:30 AM

Need some creative ideas

I've got about twenty clips of snowboarding to edit the highlights of, probably to some fast music. I"m not really sure what to do with it yet and just wanted to put it out there for creative suggestions. Does anyone have any examples or suggestions for making clips like that edited together more interesting?
Thanks

(edited) I kind of like the box effect they used on this one

Ervin Farkas December 23rd, 2011 01:55 AM

Re: Need some creative ideas

Thousands of snowboarding clips on Youtube, just search them.

Kell Smith December 23rd, 2011 02:02 AM

Yeah, I'm looking. Mostly the question revolves around editing techniques. So far the box concept is winning.

Jim Michael December 23rd, 2011 06:05 AM

It works for a while, maybe pick up the tempo as you transition into the SB stuff and then go full screen.

Marco Wagner December 23rd, 2011 12:14 PM

I always pick the song first and let the footage flow with the music - --- just a thought.

Kell Smith December 24th, 2011 01:38 AM

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing.

I kind of knew what I wanted to do - was just curious to see what ideas others might post here Once I got in there though, it just started flowing until it was done.

Looks like this thread didn't get a lot of interest. f

Wow, it takes FOREVER to convert these files. Do you guys charge for conversion time?

R Geoff Baker December 24th, 2011 07:12 AM

As a policy, it's poor form to charge for something that is the result of you not having the latest and greatest equipment ...

I always convert everything in advance, and then make my selects after conversion. I point my system at a watch folder full of source clips and convert them ... then head off to bed. Wake the next day to a folder full of ready-to-edit ProRes clips -- I'm not sure how long the process takes, though it is likely hours and hours ... but even ten minutes waiting is forever when you are in the zone making edits.

Cheers,
GB

Kell Smith December 24th, 2011 12:40 PM

It's been insane. There are about thirty clips and they are about ten minutes each. They are taking 30 minutes each to convert to DVCPro50. I've been converting them since yesterday afternoon, continuously. That would be workable if my second computer were online, but I lost a computer in the middle of the project so I"ve been working from one, and edited the project on my laptop (not beefy enough to handle editing resources so I used slugs as markers and have to add in the video once converted).
I've not had to deal with conversion issues on this scale before. Usually I'm editing something I"ve shot, so there's some capture time, but I haven't had to deal with this very often, thankfully.
If I can't get the other computer back up, this could be a real issue to work around.

Ervin Farkas December 24th, 2011 01:46 PM

Well... the first thing we all learned about video was that video files are biiig.

The second: AVCHD is a heck of a lot of trouble without the latest and greatest computer. I am not familiar with macs, just quickly looked up G5 specs and I would say 3 times real time is not bad at all for that old computer.

R Geoff Baker December 24th, 2011 11:43 PM

"They are taking 30 minutes each to convert to DVCPro50"

... You do realize that DVCPro50 is a standard definition codec? And you are throwing away all that high rez loveliness ..?

Kell Smith December 25th, 2011 12:11 AM

Yes - I'm 1) doing a web clip and 2) on deadline and 3)having hardware issues, so I didn't want to take any chances on anything my system couldn't handle until I am really clear about its limitations.

Jon Fairhurst December 25th, 2011 02:36 PM

You might check out Cineform. It retains HD quality, but it uses wavelet coding. Wavelet lets you work at 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 resolutions with excellent efficiency.

Kell Smith January 3rd, 2012 08:56 PM

That would be really great. Thank you.
Are there any ways to do something similar in FCP? (Older versions, I have 4,5).