scam, scam scam scam.....(insert Monty Python music) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Major Player

scam, scam scam scam.....(insert Monty Python music)

So... I put out an ad on Craigslist to do weddings. Someone responded with an upcoming date. I emailed him back asking where the wedding would be, and mentioning the terms/deposit to hold the date. He sent this back:

Hello ,

Good to hear from you. I will like to inform you that Presently am out of state for a project I will be back in 3rd week of February. Am very sorry for any inconvenient this might cause you. Actually am still negotiating and comparing for the venue. Am okay with your charges.i will issue you a check of $200 for deposit as commitment for me to secure the date to avaoid disapointment and when i arrive we will see one on one to discuss properly and fill every necessary form. . You can get back with your full name, contact address information, for me to send the check to you asap. Thanks

Hope to hear back soon. Thanks

Dennis.

I told him that due to the prevalence of scams on Craigslist, I would prefer to meet i person, and asked if perhaps I could pick up a check from his fiancee or a family member, locally. I haven't heard from him. Darn.=)
Maybe I should have sent him my bank account number so he could direct deposit. LOL
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: scam, scam scam scam.....(insert Monty Python music)

That's why I have a P.O. Box. People have gone as far as mailing me real checks with fraudulent intent. Craigslist is a last resort for gigs IMO.
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, I have a po box too.... but it was so obviously a scam I didn't even want to give that out.
Curious - you consider CL a last resort - what works best for you when it comes to advertising?

>>People have gone as far as mailing me real checks with fraudulent intent.<<
Sorry to hear that. What exactly were they trying to do?

Last edited by Kell Smith; January 10th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A very popular one that comes up on email is for a very lavish wedding and the guy that calls you is their wedding planner... he is usually out of state or even out of country and wants to book you.

If you reply he pours praise upon you and then says he will send you a bank guaranteed transfer for not only your full fee in advance but usually an extra bit "if you could kindly pay for the bride's wedding cake as the baker is local' He normally adds the cherry on top by offering you a 'handling fee' for your effort!

If you are silly enough to agree he sends you a bank guaranteed check and you are supposed to pay for the cake and keep the rest. Being an overseas check, it takes 21 days to clear and, of course, is rejected by the bank and you are out of pocket for the cake payment!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Major Player

It's hard to believe people fall for these things, but they do!
Kell Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion