If you're looking for a good hosting company at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

If you're looking for a good hosting company

Hosting video files and dealing with exceeding bandwith limits is a concern to all of us who are in video. A friend of mine I work with runs a hosting company and offers two key ingredients which might appeal to you if you're looking for a host, they are a lot of space and UNLIMITED bandwith. All that for $5.00 per month. The guy's name is Phil and the website is http://www.ppgnetworksolutions.com/ . Take a look, this might be something you always wanted.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Trustee

It might be a good place for a while, but only as long as their bandwidth is - as they say - underutilized.

When that catches up with them, they will begin to realize that some of us are hogging the vast majority of the bandwidth, and choke it off.

But for the next few months it might be an inexpensive way to go.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Valid point Steven, but like I said, i work with the guy so I ran all these scenarios past him and he assures me that he can handle it, even if it requires expension. The beauty of this guy is no overhead, plus if I remember, on the website, he's willing to give you a free trial to make sure you like what you pay for. Any problem, I would personally smack him around for misleading me. :-)
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

$5/month for "unlimited" bandwidth will work as long as the majority of his customers are running typical websites (<100MB/month). He's actually going to lose some money if you use up a lot of that bandwidth.

A lot of web hosts can get away with overselling their services because most websites use extremely little disk space, bandwidth, and RAM+CPU (no forums or databases to suck up CPU or RAM).

2- Nevertheless, $5.00/month for unlimited bandwidth is a good deal. You don't have to worry about overage charges about exceeding your bandwidth (anywhere from $1/GB to $6/GB). Uptime may not be really high and you may get cut off or throttled, but anything better than that would be unrealistic for $5/month.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Trustee

there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth in the hosting market... if you took that claim over to www.webhostingtalk.com, you'd get your a** kicked from one end of the forum to the other.

what typically happens is that a bandwidth provider will limit the number of simultaneous streams instead(aka total bandwidth per second) being used... which effectively limits the overall monthly bandwidth used... that's the throttle that glenn mentioned, it's basically a water pipe with a fixed diameter and pressure that'll only flow so much volume.

your friend's website lists a cell phone registered in wisconson, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but we all have to start somewhere, and $5/mo is indeed a pretty small risk to take, depending on your need for reliability... i'd be curious to know the exact details of where his bandwidth is coming from.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #6
New Boot

Unlimited bandwidth eh? I go through www.oasislabs.com and they're amazing. Very, very fast servers and great prices. You can talk to the owners themselves for a decent deal and they'll try and arrange something just for you if you'd like.

Check them out too, it's http://www.oasislabs.com
Advil Dremali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey guys, didn't mean to come across as a snake juice salesman here. To answer some of your questions, Phil, the owner of PPG is indeed in Wisconsin and like myself uses a cell phone as a business line. I would assume this happenes a lot in this mobile, remote access world, especially when you're a small mom and pop type of a business. As for where he gets his connection from, he goes through Time Warner, which offers both consumer and business accounts in this area.
Really, if you feel there is some ambiguity in his claims, let the man know. He might not know what he's getting himself into by willingness to host a whole bunch of video sites. Life of a startup, we've all been there.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion