Analog To Mini Dv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Analog To Mini Dv

Hi Everyone

Can I record onto Mini Dv Tape in a Camcorder from my VHS tapes to make old movies Digital in the Mini DV, and then save to computer for editing onto DVD disk. would the Sony DCR HC 39 work alright or what machine on budget price work best.

Appreciate response as soon as Possible.

Thanks

Ronnie
Ronnie Murtagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Wrangler

It depends on what you're trying to do. If the "old movies" are commercially distributed videotapes then more likely than not they'll have a form of copy protection (macrovision) that a camcorder will sense and refuse to digitize. If they're home movies that you made then you'll be fine.

Any camera that supports DV pass-through should be able to convert the analog video to DV and send it out the firewire port in realtime. So if the camcorder is connected to your computer you shouldn't need the intermediate step of making a mini DV tape. I'm not familiar with that Sony camera unfortunately.

If you don't want to buy a camcorder there are less expensive ways to do this, such as this product, which costs less than $200:

http://www.adstech.com/products/API-...sp?pid=API-555
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
New Boot

to Boyd

Thanks Boyd for your reply. The Tapes are old FAMILY video of Kids growing up etc.... I was going to buy Canon XM2 but too expensive, someone suggested cheaper Mini Dv camcorders with DV in DV out will work fine, hence the Sony camera I mentioned.
I have the ADS system but never works right for me.

Thanks again

Ronnie
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Wrangler

That's odd, what problems are you having with the ADS? Is it that model or one of their less expensive USB models that do MPEG compression? If you're having problems with the ADS via firewire then I would expect to see similar problems with a camcorder....
Old September 3rd, 2005, 04:19 AM   #5
New Boot

ADS trouble

Hi Boyd
Sorry for delay in reply as time difference in Ireland
I use the DVD Express from ADS Tech and I cannot get analog to MovieFactory etc.... therefore for me to send Analog to Computer I seem to need a Mini DV Camcorder with DV in ...DV out.....to convert signal.
My computer is XP windows with 80gb Hard Drive plus 80gb External Hard Drive, so space is no issue. I also have Adobe Premiere Elements installed.

Thanks Boyd

Ronnie
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Wrangler

That's what I thought. I've never used one of these, but the DVD Xpress is a completely different kind of product. It takes analog input and compresses it as MPEG2 which it outputs over USB.

The device I was talking about takes analog input, compresses it as DV and outputs over firewire (IEEE-1394) just like a camcorder does. In other words, it will do everything a camcorder will do, except record a tape or take a picture. It can also take DV input and output it as analog.

A camcorder with DV pass-through can do the same things, generally speaking, but I was just pointing out that this is a less expensive alternative if you don't need the camcorder for other things. Actually the ADS box may be better than an inexpensive camcorder since it has s-video in/out and it also has component video in/out which almost no camcorders have.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM   #7
New Boot

To Boyd

Many Thanks Boyd for your help, as I will try hold off buying a new camcorder, I already use VHS-c camera at present. I will keep trying to use the ADS Video Express and try different cables.
Thanks again Boyd

regards

Ronnie
Ronnie Murtagh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion