Any one still care about Digital 8? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 29th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Tourist

Any one still care about Digital 8?

hello all, I have 4 digital 8 cameras the best one being the DCR-TRV740E it is excellent quality for what it is, there are apparently hacks that will allow more manual pro features also though :) I have noticed how after 11 years since I got my first Digital 8, all the tapes still play flawlessly yet my miniDV I got in 2004 has a lot of drop outs :/, its ashamed that sony did not make a 3-CCD Digital 8, I've seen some people modify cameras before, so I wonder if it would it be possible to put a better lens and 3CCD unit from an old 3CCD sony DV camera of some sort and modify that to work with the Digital 8 as an experiment plus with a bit of know how and electronics skills?? or am I dreaming rubbish!!
Aaron Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Space Hipster

Re: Any one still care about Digital 8?

That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for a dead video format. I have an old D-8 camera. It sits in my closet, collecting dust. Better to just pick up a new HD camera, IMHO.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Digital 8 was DV recorded on an 8mm tape -- the codec, bit rate and such like were identical, interchangeable, with DV. So if you prefer the security (and I'm guessing that's what you are hinting at) of a robust(er) recording format -- you'd be farther ahead to buy a solid performing 3 chip DV camcorder like the PD170. It too uses the same codec and so forth, but the DV tape moves at a higher speed and so offers a more secure recording to tape, DVCam on a miniDV tape -- if you want to go even further, you could buy an external recorder for the camcorder and double record, to both the external storage and to tape.

I think the whole thing an exercise in madness, but if that was your goal, it could be achieved for little money and some time on eBay ...

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I do care. I have about 50 D8 tapes with family memories from about 2000 to 2008 - I need all that transferred to hard drive.

When that's done, camera goes to the museum.

End of an era... time to move on!
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I once futzed with marrying a HV30 for use as a DV recorder on my AF100, to satisfy a client that only wanted DV tape delivery.

Luckily, they saw the light and accepted SD card delivery, and I never had to use the contraption.
Attached Thumbnails
Any one still care about Digital 8?-afhv-1.jpg  
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

kevin,

well thats a creative picture!!! Who would a thunk it!!!

I to have 2 digital 8s on the shelf, Have been contemplating archiving the good footage myself and then pass them on with tapes to someone for fun. It still shoots good sd video.

dale
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I do as well. I got a heap of family tapes I took years ago and the FireWire connection on my TRV 350 died so can't capture. Anyone got a cheap D8 they'll ship to Australia?

Edit: Thinking about it, guess I'd need a PAL version :(

Last edited by Ian Cope; February 13th, 2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Add info
Ian Cope is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion