DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Stolen gear from New Zealand maybe on sale in UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/505607-stolen-gear-new-zealand-maybe-sale-uk.html)

Mike Peters February 26th, 2012 11:37 PM

Stolen gear from New Zealand maybe on sale in UK

NZD$10K of Bush Telly gear has been stolen by a former member of the crew from Christchurch New Zealand.

Bush Telly gear is often loaned to members of the crew who return it and they have often loaned their own gear to Bush Telly so it has been of mutual benefit.

Alexander "Sasha" Shamilov was loaned this gear by me late last year. I only found out a few weeks ago that he is now living in UK and the gear has disappeared.

Sasha Shamilov

Formerly living in Christchurch New Zealand

Now living in Clitheroe, Lancashire, United Kingdom

He had "borrowed"

1 Sennheisser MKH70 shotgun microphone
1 Rycote windsock system
1 Vinten 3441-3 Vision 8 pan and tilt head
1 Vinten 3770-3 ENG Aluminium 2-stage Pozi-Loc Tripod Legs
1 Tripod kit bag, head manual, maintenance kit, snow shoes, tripod floor spreader and plates.

More details at
Bush Telly Blog: Stolen Bush Telly gear

Any help getting the gear back much appreciated. He may have also stolen gear from other people as well.

Cheers
Mike Peters
Director
Bush Telly

Postal
PO Box 9000,
Tower Junction,
Christchurch 8149
New Zealand

Ph 64+ 3-9800902
Fx 64+ 3 9800903
Mobile 027-210-5042
Skype bushtelly
info@bushtelly.org.nz
Bush Telly

I'm also on
Redworks
Addington Action
https://www.facebook.com/NZMikePeters

Lee Mullen February 26th, 2012 11:44 PM

Re: Stolen gear from New Zealand maybe on sale in UK

Is it legal to name him here?

Chris Soucy February 27th, 2012 12:26 AM

Legal, yes.

It's an accusation, not a conviction nor sentence.

Chris H. may well take offence, can't see why, nothing to do with the USA or any attack on DVinfo, simply information that needs to be got out there.

Mike, my regards and I do hope this turns out well, been in the same situation myself, though not with such a happy outcome (other sides family, gotta hate 'em).

If you need some gear for a while, let me know, got heaps, just be in touch, and make sure it is NEVER lent out to the crew, period, OK?

CS

Ronald Jackson February 27th, 2012 01:18 AM

Presumably you've notified Lancashire Constabulary and maybe UK Borders Agency if the guy isn't travelling on a EU passport.

Ron

Mike Peters February 27th, 2012 02:08 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Ronald - He is now living in Clitheroe so I've contacted Clitheroe Police directly with all the facts. He is traveling on some kind of visitors permit. Has Russian passport not EU.

Chris - Yes you are right - a vary hard lesson to learn. Thanks for your kind offer of loan gear. We have had a lot of offers locally from other crews around Christchurch.

It also may have been sold off in NZ. I'm hoping that by making this information known, the public will help us get the gear back.

Thanks
Mike

Mike Peters March 14th, 2012 11:41 PM

Good news

The Clitheroe Police have confirmed that Mr Shamilov has admitted that all the missing gear is in the shipping container that is on its way to the UK.

Making progress

Andrew Smith March 15th, 2012 06:30 AM

That's pretty stunningly good.

Andrew

Peter D. Parker March 17th, 2012 04:00 AM

Good news Mike,
Aren't our British Bobbies wonderful !!! (speaking as a retired British Bobby who also used to work at Clitheroe).

Do want me to bring your kit back to New Zealand Mike :)

Peter

Mike Peters March 19th, 2012 01:48 PM

Hi Peter

Any help would be gratefully accepted. Waiting to hear back from police and shipping company for next step

Thanks
Mike

Andrew Dean April 3rd, 2012 09:12 PM

This is such a frustrating story. He was kinda like family to a number of us. Weird, crazy russian family, but still.

You expect this kind of behavior out of a producer. I mean, they live to take credit for your work and get paid more for it than you do... But a shooter? I guess we never really know who has producer blood flowing through their veins.

Chris Soucy April 3rd, 2012 10:14 PM

To give the guy his due..............

I've done the "shipping container from continent to continent" now so many times I've lost track, and there is one thing that never ceases to amaze me.

Stuff that should have got packed and shipped, didn't. Stuff that should never have been shipped, got grabbed by the packers, and did.

No matter how organised I've been, how well stuff was labelled, it just kept happening.

I can't even begin to imagine the stress he must have been under, moving from NZ to the UK (given his circumstances), but it sure as hell wouldn't have done anything for his mind set.

Christchurch, NZ to Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK?

I'd be pretty bloody stressed too, no other input required.

Whether NZ customs are going to see the human side, if that stuff comes back to NZ, will be interesting to hear.

It would have been exported from here and imported to the UK as "personal belongings" therefore attracting no duty or VAT in the UK.

Quite what happens if it gets shipped back here is another story.

Probably a good idea, unless you've done it already, to have a word with someone at NZ Customs to see what's what, you don't want to get hit with shipping, duty AND GST.

I'd be very interested in exactly what they say about the situation.

CS

Andrew Dean April 3rd, 2012 10:40 PM

It will be interesting to hear what customs has to say. Since its officially reported (and confirmed) stolen by the police on both sides of the ditch, in theory customs won't be an issue.

Then again... you never know when customs will be an issue, eh?

There is more to the story than would be appropriate to post here. I will say that If you made it into a movie, it would be a long confusing movie... probably directed by David Lynch.

Tom Hardwick April 4th, 2012 02:40 AM

As if you guys living in Christchurch haven't had enough worries to date.

Peter D. Parker April 4th, 2012 08:08 AM

"There is more to the story than would be appropriate to post here. I will say that If you made it into a movie, it would be a long confusing movie... probably directed by David Lynch."

As a retired police officer who used to cover Clitheroe, can I have the starring role as the person who solves the crime????

I can always go round with two of my B cameramen Ronnie "Knuckles" Jones and Harry "Cutthroat" Smith.

On a serious note, Mike, did you receive my e-mail and the suggestion about getting him to pay for the equipment. Although not condoning the offence, which has already been committed, it would solve the problem of returning the goods.

Peter