frame rate for slo mo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
New Boot

frame rate for slo mo

Does anyone know at what fps movies like Sherlock Holmes or 300 are made when they do the fight scenes and you know what i mean they go from slo mo to fast then slow and so on. I'm thinking somewhere in between 200 and 300 but i'd like to know for sure
Adrian Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: frame rate for slo mo

Probably at least 1000 fps. They get things moving pretty slow.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:31 AM   #3
New Boot

you think so Brad? that sounds like what the use for sports and the stuff like "exploding balloon" and things like that... i would really like to know for sure
Adrian Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Changes from shot to shot, but generally they are using Phantom cameras, which are capable of 1000fps or more depending on model or frame resolution. These see a lot of use on the show Spartacus which does a lot of simliar effects. The thing being the shots are generally speed ramped in post to slow down to 1000 fps, but ony for a few frames, and then speed back up again.

More recently with RED's Epic camera providing a production camera that an shoot 150fps at 5k and 300fps at 2K some shots may be shot on projects at 300fps and then further slowed down in post to achieve a simliar look wihout hiring in a speialist camera. What you have to remember is that speed changes are exponential, so when you up go form 500 to 1000fps, the difference in look is the same comparatively to when you go from 25 to 50fps, you have to add twice as many frames to get half the speed. So while 1000fps sounds like a huge jump, the visual change between that and say 300 fps is not as great as you may imagine.
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #5
Major Player

I don't know what they're shooting those movies in. Doubt it's 1,000 fps. IMHO, Spartacus overdoes it a bit. I don't need to be tracking an individual grain of sand through the air.

If playback is 24fps, then an event that lasts 2 seconds in real time, will take 83 seconds to play back if shot at 1,000 fps.

When I plan to shoot an event in slow mo, I estimate what the duration of the event in real time will be and then start doing multiples of that until I settle on what I think would make the shot look cool in playback vs too long and being just boring. If you film a fight and want the uppercut to be in slow motion, then say it takes a half second in real time for the punch to occur. Let's say I think 3 seconds might look good, so I'd shoot it at 6x my playback rate, or 240 fps.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Half a second is pretty slow for an uppercut.

Huh? Off topic? Oh right. Nevermind.
Alex Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion