DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Problem copying clip from SD card. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/506375-problem-copying-clip-sd-card.html)

Brad Ballew March 25th, 2012 05:40 PM

Problem copying clip from SD card.

1 Attachment(s)
So I did a shoot yesterday using my 5D mkii and T2i. Today while copying the clips over to my hard drive I get an error on one of clips. This is from the SD card coming out of my t2i.The funny thing is that I can play the clip off of the card, so the video is there. It just won't copy over for some reason. Any ideas on how to fix/prevent this?

Serge Petchenyi March 25th, 2012 08:43 PM

Re: Problem copying clip from SD card.

I'm assuming you connected your t2i via usb slot. Have you tried inserting the card into the computer instead of transferring the files from the camera? I haven't run into this problem but I would try narrowing down by connecting either from a card reader or straight to the computer. Is this an external hardrive you are transferring the files too?

John Wiley March 25th, 2012 08:46 PM

I'm just gonna ask the ridiculously obvious questions first, so we can put them aside and move onto better solutions...

Have you checked that there is not already a file with the same name in the destination folder? Have you checked that there is enough hard drive space available in the destination folder? And have you tried using EOS transfer as well as putting the SD card straight into your computer/card reader?

Once you've checked all these off the list (I know, they seem obvious, but better to check than to spend hours trying to fix a problem and then find out it was something so minor!) then you can start thinking about a solution; my first thought would be to try reading the card with a different computer. Failing that, I would try to use Cinefrom or Log and Transfer or whatever your preferred program is and try to transcode the file straight from the SD card.

John Wiley March 25th, 2012 08:49 PM

As for how to prevent this in future, again I'm going to state the bleeding obvious... formatting your cards regularly (mine get formatted in camera before every use) is the best way to prevent card read/write errors and keep your cards healthy!

Brad Ballew March 25th, 2012 09:19 PM

I am connecting this to my computer via a card reader. I never connect using my camera. I have around a terabyte of free space on my hard drive, so I am definitely not running out of space. Also, this clip was not already copied on the hard drive. My destination folder is a brand new folder. I just took the card out of the camera for the first time since the shoot and plugged it into my card reader, then started transferring the media and when it got to this clip, it gave me this error message. I have been shooting on DSLRs for 2 years now and I have never had this problem.

Now I do have magic lantern installed on the SD card I used. I was using my T2i as a static b cam, and had movie restart turned on so that it would keep recording while I was shooting with my 5D. This clip was the first clip that was recorded in a longer recording session.

What confuses me is that I can play the clip off of the card, but it won't copy. It's just weird.

John Wiley March 26th, 2012 03:39 AM

Do you still have the original EOS Software disk? If so, try loading up the software and transferring via USB.

Peter D. Parker March 27th, 2012 02:46 AM

Brad have you tried copying the whole folder structure off the card, not just the clip?

Peter