Switcher Question (Panasonic WJ-220) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Switcher Question (Panasonic WJ-220)

Hi.

I recently purchased a used video switcher (Panasonic WJ-220). It is an analog video switcher and has 6 inputs and 1 output. It is supposed to switch using the vertical interval as long as there is a source connected to input one. I have tested this, however I still get glitches when switching inputs. Just wondering if the input on input 1 has to be gen-locked or can any source work?

Also, this switcher has a loop through for each input and recommends a BNC terminator for each input not used. I do not have any at this time. Just wondering if having terminators would solve the glitch in the switches.

There is no gen-lock input or reference input on this switcher.

Has anyone used this to get glitch free results?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Switcher Question (Panasonic WJ-220)

Mark,
If this is the switcher I think it is (I have an old one) you would have to genlock every input you are using to get glitch free switching. The switcher doesn't have any frame sync capability. It attempts to switch in the vertical interval but asynchronous sources will have glitches. You also would need control of the phase to keep the color from shifting as well. It is not meant to be a program switcher it just is meant to let you monitor signals.
As far as termination you need to terminate the input as well. You can do this by connecting the loop to a monitor which terminates properly or with terminators. If you don't then the input signal will be incorrect and have many issues.
If you are trying to record the switch feed then you need to do all this. If you are just using to switch several sources then you can live with the glitches but you should terminate any inputs you want to use.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is a picture of the switcher (not mine but same model).

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PANASONIC-VIDEO-SWITCHER-WJ-220-120V-AC-60HZ-5W-USED-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$%28KGrHqR,!g4E7QKhpT8BBO2TFckU7g~~60_35.JPG

The manual states that the vertical interval is triggered by input #1 but all other sources must be synchronized to that input so I guess not going to get glitch free switching.

Just wondering do all vertical interval switchers work like this? I have been trying to find a low cost glitch free switcher and thought this was a vertical interval switcher that wouldn't need genlocked sources, but guess this isnt it.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Back in the day when I used to hook up switchers, I used this to sync everything up.
Horita BG-50 Blackburst Generator | Used Audio Visual Equipment - Professional Audio, Video & Staging Products

It's a sync/blackburst generator, and there are 6 outputs. Connect 1 output to #1 input of your switcher, and connect the other outputs of the generator to the ref. input of the time base corrector of your playback deck. If you have a camera, it goes to sync in. Video output of the deck or camera then goes to the inputs of your switcher. If your playback equipment does not have ref or sync in, you can't use this switcher for the purposes you're trying to achieve. As Daniel mentioned, it's purpose is to switch monitor signals.

Not terminating your input will not affect sync, but your picture will look too bright and washed out.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Mark,
Here are a couple of switchers that have internal TBC that will be glitch free if they are working.

Panasonic WJ-MX30 Digital AV Audio Video Mixer Switcher WJMX30 - 60 DAY WARRANTY | eBay

Digital Audio Video Mixer/Switcher Panasonic WJ-AVE5 (Mixer) | eBay
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion