DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I really need your help to decide which option to buy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/506840-i-really-need-your-help-decide-option-buy.html)

Matthew C. Abourezk April 11th, 2012 07:46 AM

I really need your help to decide which option to buy

Hi all, I am in dire need of some great advice.

I realize that $6k is a paltry amount, but I have a new client that needs a product promotional video and the quality of the footage has to be incredible, especially in the jet-black shadow areas of the video (which is a major component of the creative direction of the piece). I have been researching the options for days (literally) and have yet to find the right solution. Every camera has strengths and shortcomings, and there are many tricks to tweak an image.

So my options (as I see it at this point) are....
1) I buy gear (external recorder) for my existing camera(s);
2) I need to do some whacky workflow (camera settings that work best for cleaning footage in post) that produces superb results;
3) I buy a piece of post gear or software,
4) or the answer could be that I buy a new camera. Or a combination of the above.

I need to be creative with the purchase to get a camera/external recorder that gives me 1080P, shoots pristinely clean video in the shadow areas, has no problems with moire (since I am shooting a refrigerator sized product that has many horizontal and diagonal details).

I prefer the DSLR-Like depth of field control, and if possible (though not required) I want the ability to do clean slow motion.

The creative concept for the video is this...
(Note that a camera that is on a motorized slider and shooting close-ups of Pieces and parts of the product),
the video will reveal the product through a series of closeups that consist of a completely black setting, as the light passes over an area of the product, that area briefly reveals in the light then as the light continues flying by (the light itself is not in the frame), the frame goes to black. Repeat over and over again. So the Black Shadows and gradients of shadow) need to be incredibly clean, and the video of the product needs to be crisp and detailed to show the fine texture of the product surfaces.

I own a Panasonic HVX 200 and a Canon 5D Mk II, I also have a variety of Canon L series still lenses.

I have looked at the Panasonic AF100, the Sony FS 100, the Canon 5D Mark III, and from an overwhelming amount of positive reviews, the Panasonic GH2.
I discovered that the 5DMkII and MKIII doesn't have clean HDMI out (which is really disappointing), so those are probably out.
Do you have any suggestions as to what camera/external recorder I can buy on this small budget that will give me the most quality at a reasonable price?

Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Matt